How to debug slow start

Sebastian Tarach
Details
Message ID
<CABHFoSr5yuMGF47ARkuH_FiiKtckdpF-ce_KeJ4XrUmvFe+WAg@mail.gmail.com>
DKIM signature
missing
Hello,

Fresh Alpine Virt 3,10.1 installation is hanging up after starting NTP
service ( is marked ok )
but just sits there for about 30+ seconds doing nothing.

How can I check what happens in the mean time ?

Thanks
Cosmo Borsky
Details
Message ID
<a782ebdd-e01e-150a-c0f3-463d7ba4d8e3@cosmoborsky.com>
In-Reply-To
<CABHFoSr5yuMGF47ARkuH_FiiKtckdpF-ce_KeJ4XrUmvFe+WAg@mail.gmail.com> (view parent)
DKIM signature
missing
> Fresh Alpine Virt 3,10.1 installation is hanging up after starting NTP
> service ( is marked ok )
> but just sits there for about 30+ seconds doing nothing.

This may be due to the vm gathering entropy.
Try to add an entropy builder like `haveged` or `rng-tools` and ensure
it is started on boot.

> How can I check what happens in the mean time ?

Try typing random keys on your keyboard at the vm window during init.
Once you can log in, type `dmesg` to check the logs. You might see
something like "crng init done". Take a look at the timestamp between
that message and the message before it.
Tuan Hoang
Details
Message ID
<9ff14cff-792a-949a-4642-11da42c584f1@linux.ibm.com>
In-Reply-To
<a782ebdd-e01e-150a-c0f3-463d7ba4d8e3@cosmoborsky.com> (view parent)
DKIM signature
missing
On 8/23/19 12:44 AM, Cosmo Borsky wrote:
>> Fresh Alpine Virt 3,10.1 installation is hanging up after starting NTP
>> service ( is marked ok )
>> but just sits there for about 30+ seconds doing nothing.
>
> This may be due to the vm gathering entropy.
> Try to add an entropy builder like `haveged` or `rng-tools` and ensure
> it is started on boot.
>
>> How can I check what happens in the mean time ?
>
> Try typing random keys on your keyboard at the vm window during init.
> Once you can log in, type `dmesg` to check the logs. You might see
> something like "crng init done". Take a look at the timestamp between
> that message and the message before it.

I thought we solved this when we added trust cpu vendor kernel option ?
CONFIG_RANDOM_TRUST_CPU=y