Subject: name resolution problem

From: Sebastian Lusenti <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2021 09:29:33 +0000

hi all,
I'm trying to make an Alpine Linux setup for Desktop but currently I'm struggling with stopper problem.
I've installed Alpine in a VirtualBox VM. When i setup a vpn connection on the host I'm not able to use any network service that requires name service resolution (E.G. chrony , ssh, firefox, apk) on the alpine guest but if I nslookup to any host the dns respond correctly. Without VPN everything it's ok.
I've already tried to create a /etc/nsswitch file and to restart networking service multiple times.

It's not a VPN or VirtualBox issue because if I try the same commands in the same environment with another distro everything work fine.

Could you please help, debugging and solving this?

Sent with [ProtonMail](https://protonmail.com) Secure Email.

---

From: Banibrata Dutta <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2021 10:11:27 +0530

This sounds potentially related to the problem I posted last night. My
setup is Win10 Enterprise, with Virtualbox running VM, on which Alpine 3.13
is installed as guest OS, with Docker and Docker-compoae (latest from
repos). I also use (corporate) VPN on the host. However my issue is that
inter container (since I use 7 containers) name resolution, and hostname
assignment with container is erratic. It switched from working almost
smoothly to near mess, with zero change to containers or their
configuration. From within atleast one of the containers, I am however able
to do 'curl -v -k http://www.google.com'.

Similar to you, I have a similar setup based on CentOS guest, with somewhat
older version of Docker and Docker-compose which works fine, in the same
host setup. Wanted the Alpine guest setup to minimise footprint for easier
distribution to colleagues.

Regards,
BD

On Mon, 1 Mar, 2021, 3:00 pm Sebastian Lusenti, <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> I've installed Alpine in a VirtualBox VM. When i setup a vpn connection on
> the host I'm not able to use any network service that requires name service
> resolution (E.G. chrony , ssh, firefox, apk) on the alpine guest but if I
> nslookup to any host the dns respond correctly. Without VPN everything it's
> ok.
> It's not a VPN or VirtualBox issue because if I try the same commands in
> the same environment with another distro everything work fine.
>
> Sent with ProtonMail <https://protonmail.com> Secure Email.
>
>

---

From: Paul Bredbury <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2021 09:46:16 +0000

On Mon, 2021-03-01 at 09:29 +0000, Sebastian Lusenti wrote:
> VirtualBox VM

Is this on a Mac? Relevant issues to check:

https://gitlab.alpinelinux.org/alpine/aports/-/issues/11879
https://github.com/docker/for-mac/issues/5020