Subject: ArcticFox on Alpine Linux

From: Riccardo Mottola <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 May 2026 09:44:43 +0200

Hi,

I was able to get ArcitcFox browser running on Alpine Linux! Finally!
No screenshot attached because of ML limits. https://pastes.io/K2GRnS8j
(Do you have a preferred image paste?)

I have some local changes in the build system.
Most of them come from gcc15 having more warnings.

there are some "caveats".

1) for libstagefright I had to add:
media/libstagefright/moz.build

+    DEFINES['_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE'] = True

2) browser won't start because
XPCOMGlueLoad error for file 
/home/multix/code/Arctic-Fox/obj-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/dist/bin/libxul.so:
Error loading shared library libmozsqlite3.so: No such file or directory 
(needed by 
/home/multix/code/Arctic-Fox/obj-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/dist/bin/libxul.so)
Couldn't load XPCOM.

right now, I "hacked" setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH to the build directory.

It is strange, since  libxul.so   resides in the same directory as 
libmozsqlite3.so . What is different between Alpine here compared to 
e.g. Gentoo or Devuan?

A first guess would be that the linker doesn't look in current library 
or something similar.

Riccardo

---

From: Konstantin Kulikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 May 2026 13:28:25 +0000

You can use "ldd /path/to/bin" program (or "/lib/ld-musl-x86_64.so.1
--list /path/to/bin") to see how dynamic linker resolves libraries.

Alpine uses musl instead of glibc, its configuration is different.

Defaults seem to be documented here
https://musl.libc.org/doc/1.1.24/manual.html

> ../etc/ld-musl-$(ARCH).path, taken relative to the location of the
"program interpreter" specified in the program's headers - if present, this
will be processed as a text file containing the shared library search path,
with components delimited by newlines or colons. If absent, a default path
of "/lib:/usr/local/lib:/usr/lib" will be used. Not used by static-linked
programs.

(program interpreter in this context is /lib/ld-musl-x86_64.so.1)