~alpine/users

4 2

Xorg setup - hwdriver

Riccardo Mottola <riccardo.mottola@libero.it>
<16f5643a-5f9c-33c5-d837-b00771ca00ac@libero.it>

I just set up alpine linux on a laptop - fresh install.
To be honest, I did install 3.12, since I had the CD, then immediately
upgraded to 3.16, then started installing and working on that.

xorg doesn't start... and I get this error:

# setup-xorg-base
OK: 1015 MiB in 215 packages
 * rc-update: service `hwdriver' is not in the runlevel `sysinit'
 * rc-update: service `mdev' is not in the runlevel `s

what services are missing, how can I add them (which package provides them)?

Thanks,
Riccardo
Riccardo Mottola <riccardo.mottola@libero.it>
<59b26775-55ab-ee73-9735-7af4ced8fe1f@libero.it>
In-Reply-To
<16f5643a-5f9c-33c5-d837-b00771ca00ac@libero.it> (view parent)

Riccardo Mottola wrote:
> # setup-xorg-base
> OK: 1015 MiB in 215 packages
>  * rc-update: service `hwdriver' is not in the runlevel `sysinit'
>  * rc-update: service `mdev' is not in the runlevel `s
>

> what services are missing, how can I add them (which package provides them)?

I started off with a fresh install, with a current 3.16 alpine CD and
install Xorg.

I still end with

 * rc-update: service `hwdriver' is not in the runlevel `sysinit'

Riccardo
Konstantin Kulikov <k.kulikov2@gmail.com>
<CAD+eXGTtevd3284qrO+pf-Ai7VhDxf7W22SRNm2jQSsR=2krsA@mail.gmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<59b26775-55ab-ee73-9735-7af4ced8fe1f@libero.it> (view parent)
I have these symlinks on my server

boot/bootmisc
boot/hostname
boot/hwclock
boot/klogd
boot/modules
boot/networking
boot/sysctl
boot/syslog
shutdown/killprocs
shutdown/mount-ro
shutdown/savecache
sysinit/devfs
sysinit/dmesg
sysinit/hwdrivers
sysinit/mdev

if you installed via "apk add alpine-base" then they're not created
automatically. Make sure they exist and point to correct services.

On Wed, Oct 12, 2022 at 5:44 PM Riccardo Mottola
<riccardo.mottola@libero.it> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Riccardo Mottola wrote:
> > # setup-xorg-base
> > OK: 1015 MiB in 215 packages
> >  * rc-update: service `hwdriver' is not in the runlevel `sysinit'
> >  * rc-update: service `mdev' is not in the runlevel `s
> >

> > what services are missing, how can I add them (which package provides them)?
>
> I started off with a fresh install, with a current 3.16 alpine CD and
> install Xorg.
>
> I still end with
>
>  * rc-update: service `hwdriver' is not in the runlevel `sysinit'
>

> Riccardo
Riccardo Mottola <riccardo.mottola@libero.it>
<4a07dff4-8dc0-739e-e14a-06e256f8cc53@libero.it>
In-Reply-To
<CAD+eXGTtevd3284qrO+pf-Ai7VhDxf7W22SRNm2jQSsR=2krsA@mail.gmail.com> (view parent)
Hello Konstantin,

Konstantin Kulikov wrote:
> I have these symlinks on my server
>
> boot/bootmisc
> boot/hostname
> boot/hwclock
> boot/klogd
> boot/modules
> boot/networking
> boot/sysctl
> boot/syslog
> shutdown/killprocs
> shutdown/mount-ro
> shutdown/savecache
> sysinit/devfs
> sysinit/dmesg
> sysinit/hwdrivers
> sysinit/mdev
>
> if you installed via "apk add alpine-base" then they're not created
> automatically. Make sure they exist and point to correct services.

I did install with setup-alpine and setup-xorg-base

I have the symlink you mention above, hwdrivers.
Note it is plural with final s.

Riccardo
Konstantin Kulikov <k.kulikov2@gmail.com>
<CAD+eXGReB8-mxXLbx5xa78+w16rvdYSz-0yy7XeeVEd_V83K9w@mail.gmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<4a07dff4-8dc0-739e-e14a-06e256f8cc53@libero.it> (view parent)
https://git.alpinelinux.org/alpine-conf/tree/setup-devd.in#n34

This does look like a typo (feel free to send MR on gitlab), but this
is not a fatal error anyway.

On Fri, Oct 14, 2022 at 12:28 AM Riccardo Mottola
<riccardo.mottola@libero.it> wrote:

> Hello Konstantin,
>
> Konstantin Kulikov wrote:
> > I have these symlinks on my server
> >
> > boot/bootmisc
> > boot/hostname
> > boot/hwclock
> > boot/klogd
> > boot/modules
> > boot/networking
> > boot/sysctl
> > boot/syslog
> > shutdown/killprocs
> > shutdown/mount-ro
> > shutdown/savecache
> > sysinit/devfs
> > sysinit/dmesg
> > sysinit/hwdrivers
> > sysinit/mdev
> >
> > if you installed via "apk add alpine-base" then they're not created
> > automatically. Make sure they exist and point to correct services.
>
> I did install with setup-alpine and setup-xorg-base
>
> I have the symlink you mention above, hwdrivers.
> Note it is plural with final s.
>

> Riccardo
Reply to thread Export thread (mbox)