Subject: [alpine-user] Firefox and PulseAudio dependency

From: Cág <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2017 09:55:32 +0000

Hi all,

I recently read that Firefox 52 stopped supporting ALSA backend[0].
For now, we have "oldstable" 45 ESR (EOL in June) and 51 that is
no longer supported. What are the plans for it? I suppose most
people here don't use PA, and don't want to. Will PaleMoon[1] make
its way to the repos? PaleMoon is basically Firefox 20-something,
forked and fixed.

Thanks

[0]:http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/03/firefox-52-no-sound-pulseaudio-alsa-linux
[1]:http://www.palemoon.org/
-- 
caóc

---
Unsubscribe:  [email-masked]
Help:         [email-masked]
---

---

From: Natanael Copa <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2017 14:01:15 +0200

On Thu, 30 Mar 2017 09:55:32 +0000

> [1]:http://www.palemoon.org/

Does pulseaudio even work on Alpine?

Does pulseaudio support musl libc?

What are the options we have?

- drop firefox entirely
- ship firefox without sound
- provide pulseaudio?

Other options?

-nc

---

---

From: Harald Arnesen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2017 15:31:03 +0200

> - ship firefox without sound

On the Devuan (Debian fork without systemd), apulse has been suggested
as an alternative.
<https://github.com/i-rinat/apulse>.
-- 
Hilsen Harald

---

---

From: Cág <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2017 14:09:35 +0000

> On the Devuan (Debian fork without systemd), apulse has been suggested

I think it is only creating another layer of bloat. If a piece of software
doesn't work without PA, I don't use it.

-- 
caóc

---

---

From: William Pitcock <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2017 00:15:06 -0500

Hello,

> doesn't work without PA, I don't use it.

Right now Firefox (i.e. 52) still supports the alsa backend when
explicitly built with it.

Firefox 52 is also planned to be the next ESR release.

I think increasingly we are going to see more software wanting to use
PulseAudio, so we are going to eventually have to provide a shim
implementation of some sort (but I do not think apulse is the one
we're looking for).

William

---

---

From: Cág <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2017 13:55:20 +0000

> Does pulseaudio support musl libc?

It should, since it exists in the repos.

> - ship firefox without sound

I'd go with PaleMoon.

-- 
caóc

---