Subject: Re: package for apk man pages

From: Kevin Daudt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2020 15:08:48 +0100

On 2020-02-23 16:38:31 +0100, Wolf wrote:
> On 2020-02-22 20:07:36 +0900, Stone Tickle wrote:
> > Hello,
> > 
> > I apologize if it has been asked before, but I was wondering what the
> > name of the package that includes apk documentation is, so I can do
> > `man
> > apk`. 
> 
> There is no such package. /usr/share is explicitly deleted causing
> manpages to not be available:
> 
> https://git.alpinelinux.org/aports/tree/main/apk-tools/APKBUILD#n53
> 
> I do not know if this is just oversight or intention. You should
> probably open ticket in gitlab if you want the manpages to be shipped.
> 
> W.

This is not entirely correct.

Alpine Linux separates man pages from the main package. So if there is
documentation and the APKBUILD specified it, there is a -doc package
containing the man pages (which should be the case for most packages).

To get the man pages for every package you have installed, you can run
`apk add docs`, which will install a man-page viewer and all the
relevant -doc packages.

Now in the case of apk, there used to be no man pages. Soemone from the
community has written them though but as far as I know they have not
been included yet.

`apk --help` and `apk <command> --help` are currently the best
references.

Kevin