Subject: Is there a preferred way to change busybox aliases

From: David Restall <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2020 21:05:05 +0000

Hi,

New to Alpine Linux but am enjoying the experience :-)

My preferred editor is vim.  I installed it using apk and can run it
quite happily.  I would really like vim to be the system editor so when
I type 'vi filename' it uses vim instead of busybox vi :

alpine:/etc# which vi
/usr/bin/vi
alpine:/etc# ls -al /usr/bin/vi
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 12 Dec 25 21:46 /usr/bin/vi -> /bin/busybox

I could just do :

alpine:/etc# cd /usr/bin/; rm vi; ln -s vim vi 

but that seems a bit brutal, on other distros, there is an 'alternatives'
package for this sort of issue, is there anything similar in Alpine ?

Regards,

D
lists/alpine/users/2020-12-26.tx                       alpineusers
+----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Dave Restall, Computer Anorak, Geek, Cyclist, Radio Amateur G4FCU, Bodger  |
| Mob +44 (0) 7973 831245      Skype: dave.restall             Radio: G4FCU  |
| email : [email-masked]  - Anti-SocialMediaist -  Web : Not Ready Yet :-( |
+- QOTD ---------------------------------------------------------------------+
| There is no sadder sight than a young pessimist.                           |
+----------------------------------------------------------------------------+

---

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2020 19:01:22 +0100

Is it possible to create an alias in your preferred shell?

/gowave