Subject: sshd in initramfs

From: SpaghettiNoodles <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2023 15:52:45 +0100

Hello,

Has anyone been able to get an ssh server running under initramfs? I
have an encrypted system which I would like to be able to unlock
remotely without the need of a KVM.

If this is not possible, are there any other solutions which would allow
me to achieve my desired outcome?

Thanks all,
--
SpaghettiNoodles

---

From: Fabio Martins <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2023 17:31:25 -0300

iLO or iDRAC interfaces for HP / Dell servers i believe

-- 
Atenciosamente,

Fabio Martins

(+5521) 97914-8106 (Signal)
https://www.linkedin.com/in/fabio1337br/

---

From: SpaghettiNoodles <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2023 21:51:51 +0100

Thanks for replying,

Just clarifying that I don't have a KVM. In fact, I'm not even running Alpine on server hardware, rather on consumer hardware hence my pursuit of a simpler method of decryption at distance.

I could eventually resort to a PiKVM, but I'd prefer to keep it simple.

Thanks

---

From: Vincent Bentley <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2023 11:15:59 +0100

I used Mandos years ago before systemd arrived. It worked well but I 
think the current code base is more systemd focused. It is not in the 
Alpine package repo and I have no idea what would need to be done to 
make it work on Alpine but it is worth a look.

https://www.recompile.se/mandos

-Vince-

On 02/04/2023 21:51, SpaghettiNoodles wrote:
> Thanks for replying,
>
> Just clarifying that I don't have a KVM. In fact, I'm not even running 
> Alpine on server hardware, rather on consumer hardware hence my 
> pursuit of a simpler method of decryption at distance.
>

---

From: Unicorn <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2023 13:28:37 +0200 (GMT+02:00)

A quick search turned up this open merge request: 
https://gitlab.alpinelinux.org/alpine/mkinitfs/-/merge_requests/86

So there are ways to do it currently (namely by using dracut, which is 
only available in the testing repository), but no simple way to acheive 
it with the existing alpine mkinitfs because this merge request is 
blocked due to lack of a testsuite.