Subject: good OS for an incus host?

From: Marcus Rohrmoser <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2026 17:34:47 +0200

are some of you using Alpine to host incus[1]?

With ZFS?

It sounds appealing to have a slim server running the container infrastructure itself, doesn't it?

/Marcus

[1]: https://linuxcontainers.org/incus/

---

From: Thomas Böhler <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2026 20:22:48 +0200

> are some of you using Alpine to host incus[1]?

I'm not using Incus, but I do have a few devices running ZFS on Alpine,
both on root with ZFSBootMenu (although this isn't packaged properly yet
and I'm using the EFI executable provided by upstream) and for storage
disks and there haven't been any issues on my side.

If it helps, there exists a fairly basic ZFS wiki page for Alpine:
https://wiki.alpinelinux.org/wiki/ZFS

-- 
Thomas Böhler
https://wiredspace.de

---

From: Unicorn <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2026 20:54:45 +0200

Hi Marcus,

I have been running both incus-feature on my everyday laptop (Alpine 
edge) and incus (LTS) on a server (Alpine 3.23, probably began on an 
earlier release) for a year or two, both using ZFS datasets for storage. 
It has been simple and boring, in a good way. :)

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Best,
Edin

---

From: Marcus Rohrmoser <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2026 18:10:07 +0200

Thanks, I'll give that a go!

/Marcus