Subject: Keeping gtk+2.0 in v3.24

From: Ian Smith <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2026 11:25:13 +0100

Well, here's a thing.  I just upgraded my “server” Pi to 3.24, and
gtk+2.0 is still installed. It was in the world file, so most probably
that is what stopped it being removed.

So, if you want it, keep it in your world file!

It would appear that if you want a fresh install of 3.24 with gtk+2.0
included, you will need to install v3.23, apk add gtk+2.0, then upgrade
;)

--

---

From: Ian Smith <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2026 12:16:46 +0100

Scratch that.  gdk-pixbuf is now upgraded to a version which does not
allow me to build GKrellm, even with gtk+2.0-dev.

The good toys are being taken away before our very eyes . . .

--

---

From: "Sertonix" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2026 19:12:07 +0000

> that is what stopped it being removed.

gtk+2.0 has not been remove in 3.24. In 3.24 there have only been some
packages using gtk+2.0 removed.

Regarding GKrellm, you should be able to build it with something like
CFLAGS="$CFLAGS -std=c11 -D_GNU_SOURCE". Porting it to gtk+3.0 may
be possible but would require replacing stuff like GdkPixmap which
probably requires some design changes.

---

From: Ian Smith <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2026 11:06:10 +0100

Please pardon my poor memory!  I have just tried my "canary" v3.24
install, and found that it compiles fine.  The _actual_ issue is a
segfault:

'''
(gkrellm:5052): GdkPixbuf-WARNING **: 10:55:34.900: Error loading XPM
image loader: Image type “legacy-xpm” is not supported Cannot load xpm:
(null)
Segmentation fault         gkrellm
'''

Of course, I got the same result with:

CFLAGS="$CFLAGS -std=c11 -D_GNU_SOURCE" make

so the gdk-pixbuf error is a runtime one, _not_ compile-time!

Once more, sorry for the confusion, but I still cannot _run_ GKrellM on
v3.24.

--

---

From: Ian Smith <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2026 09:13:30 +0100

Wow, thanks for that info - I could have sworn I read that somewhere -
my mistake!

I will give your suggestion a try.

--