~alpine/users

2 2

upgrade from 3.12.3 to 3.13.0

<2b6f90dc-13b2-576f-f981-85d29250f3c7@i-med.ac.at>

I'm trying to upgrade a diskless installation (config and apk cache on
usb) from Alpine 3.12.3 to 3.13.0 but while booting the new ISO image I
get the following error when the USB stick is inserted:

ISOLINUX 6.04 4.04-pre1 Copyright (C) 1994-2015 H. Peter Anvin et al
boot:
/sbin/init not found in new root. Launching emergency recovery shell
Type exit to Continue boot.
sh: can't access tty; job control turned off
/ #

When I boot the new ISO an empty USB stick all works fine and I can
configure Alpine from scratch. However I'd like to upgrade and migrate
my previous settings and packages as I used to do whenever I switched
release.

Is there any way to solve that problem?

Thanks
    Dietmar
<20210121171550.48792812@ncopa-desktop.lan>
In-Reply-To
<2b6f90dc-13b2-576f-f981-85d29250f3c7@i-med.ac.at> (view parent)
On Thu, 21 Jan 2021 14:02:55 +0100
Dietmar Rieder <dietmar.rieder@i-med.ac.at> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to upgrade a diskless installation (config and apk cache on
> usb) from Alpine 3.12.3 to 3.13.0 but while booting the new ISO image I
> get the following error when the USB stick is inserted:

> ISOLINUX 6.04 4.04-pre1 Copyright (C) 1994-2015 H. Peter Anvin et al
> boot:
> /sbin/init not found in new root. Launching emergency recovery shell
> Type exit to Continue boot.
> sh: can't access tty; job control turned off
> / #
>
> When I boot the new ISO an empty USB stick all works fine and I can
> configure Alpine from scratch. However I'd like to upgrade and migrate
> my previous settings and packages as I used to do whenever I switched
> release.
>
> Is there any way to solve that problem?

Does it boot if you add the boot option usbdelay=10?

Might be that the usb controller needs more than a ssecond to initialize.

> Thanks
>     Dietmar

<48327532-c7e3-6c6d-fa2a-006aa0a9985b@i-med.ac.at>
In-Reply-To
<20210121171550.48792812@ncopa-desktop.lan> (view parent)

thanks for the suggestion. I'm not sure how to add this option?

Anyway, when the alpine is in the recovery shell ("/ #") I see that the
USB stick /dev/sda is mounted. I also see the activity led flashing
during the boot, so I guess the usb controller is initialized. I also
see the # progress bar going to 100% (see [1] screenshot)

I do not have such issues with older versions of Alpine.

Best
     Dietmar

[1]:
<https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mwY6iyx8sav_-Z4zcxnwSDobJljo8G9A/view?usp=sharing>

On 1/21/21 5:15 PM, Natanael Copa wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Jan 2021 14:02:55 +0100
> Dietmar Rieder <dietmar.rieder@i-med.ac.at> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm trying to upgrade a diskless installation (config and apk cache on
>> usb) from Alpine 3.12.3 to 3.13.0 but while booting the new ISO image I
>> get the following error when the USB stick is inserted:

>> ISOLINUX 6.04 4.04-pre1 Copyright (C) 1994-2015 H. Peter Anvin et al
>> boot:
>> /sbin/init not found in new root. Launching emergency recovery shell
>> Type exit to Continue boot.
>> sh: can't access tty; job control turned off
>> / #
>>
>> When I boot the new ISO an empty USB stick all works fine and I can
>> configure Alpine from scratch. However I'd like to upgrade and migrate
>> my previous settings and packages as I used to do whenever I switched
>> release.
>>
>> Is there any way to solve that problem?
>
> Does it boot if you add the boot option usbdelay=10?
>
> Might be that the usb controller needs more than a ssecond to initialize.
>

>> Thanks
>>      Dietmar

D i e t m a r  R i e d e r, Mag.Dr.
Innsbruck Medical University