Subject: Failed to load /org/gtk/libgtk/icons/24x24/status/image-missing.png: Loader process exited early with status '0'

From: "." <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2026 14:36:00 +0000

I get  :

" Bail out! 
Gtk:ERROR:../gtk/gtkiconhelper.c:495:ensure_surface_for_gicon: assertion 
failed (error == NULL): Failed to load 
/org/gtk/libgtk/icons/24x24/status/image-missing.png: Loader process 
exited early with status '0'Command: "bwrap" "--unshare-all" 
"--die-with-parent" "--chdir" "/" "--ro-bind" "/usr" "/usr" "--dev" 
"/dev" "--ro-bind-try" "/etc/ld.so.cache" "/etc/ld.so.cache" 
"--ro-bind-try" "/nix/store" "/nix/store" "--tmpfs" "/tmp-home" 
"--tmpfs" "/tmp-run" "--clearenv" "--setenv" "HOME" "/tmp-home" 
"--setenv" "XDG_RUNTIME_DIR" "/tmp-run" "--setenv" "XDG_RUNTIME_DIR" 
"/home/user/waylands" "--symlink" "/usr/lib" "/lib" "--seccomp" "15" 
"/usr/libexec/glycin-loaders/2+/glycin-image-rs" "--dbus-fd" "14" 
(gdk-pixbuf-error-quark, 0)"

   when trying to open virt-manager in wayland session.

I had no problem until recendly becouse of something (I think?) having 
to do with glycin sandboxing-bubblewrap thing. I had no problems with 
version 3.23 as a test.  I had thought that changing way bubblewrap is 
executed would change situation "bwrap --unshare-all --die-with-parent 
--chdir / \
--ro-bind /usr /usr --dev /dev \
--ro-bind-try /etc/ld.so.cache /etc/ld.so.cache \
--ro-bind-try /nix/store /nix/store \
--tmpfs /tmp-home --tmpfs /tmp-run --clearenv \
--setenv HOME /tmp-home --setenv XDG_RUNTIME_DIR /home/user/waylands \
--symlink /usr/lib /lib --seccomp 15 \
--ro-bind /usr/share/icons /usr/share/icons \
--ro-bind-try /usr/share/icons/hicolor /usr/share/icons/hicolor \
--ro-bind-try /home/user/.local/share/icons /home/user/.local/share/icons \
/usr/libexec/glycin-loaders/2+/glycin-image-rs --dbus-fd 14" would grant 
a sucess before executing virt-manager but it didn't and gave me 'bad 
description of seccomp'".

I'm not sure what to do now.

---

From: Steffen Nurpmeso <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 2026 23:38:12 +0100

Hi.

"." <[email-masked]> wrote in
 <[email-masked]>:
 |" Bail out! 
 |Gtk:ERROR:../gtk/gtkiconhelper.c:495:ensure_surface_for_gicon: assertion 
 |failed (error == NULL): Failed to load 
 ...
 |I had no problem until recendly becouse of something (I think?) having 
 |to do with glycin sandboxing-bubblewrap thing. I had no problems with 
 |version 3.23 as a test.  I had thought that changing way bubblewrap is 

On CRUX Linux they reverted from 2.44.5 to 2.44.4 because of
glycin problems (xpm).

  https://git.crux.nu/ports/opt/issues/38

I for myself am at .44.5 but i do not use glycin, Rust and that
for something such ridiculous (imho), no, i use

  # Depends on: glib-introspection libpng libtiff

and

  -D glycin=disabled \
          -D builtin_loaders='glycin,ico' \
          -D tests=false \
          -D installed_tests=false \
          -D man=false \
          -D others=enabled \
          -D thumbnailer=disabled

and, most importantly, i do

  gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders --update-cache

because otherwise i get above-like assertions when certain images
are required.
That call is however part of the AlpineLinux package, yet,
possibly it makes a difference for you.
(glycin, really not.)

--steffen
|
|Der Kragenbaer,                The moon bear,
|der holt sich munter           he cheerfully and one by one
|einen nach dem anderen runter  wa.ks himself off
|(By Robert Gernhardt)

---

From: "." <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2026 10:40:00 +0000

Executing 'doas gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders --update-cache' doesn't really 
change anything. Downgrating gdk-pixbuf package to 2.44.4-r0 did make it 
work again but now I can't do that, but with version  2.44.5-r0 I 
remember one of things that got pulled with it was bubblewrap which 
wasn't there before. Is there any variable that can disable sandboxing 
for gtk?

---

From: Paul Zillmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2026 13:13:29 +0100

To be fair: gdk-pixbuf also has issues on other distros, e.g. the 
mate-screenshot tool on Arch doesn't work at all.
There are also some discussions about this on the Arch forums, 
appropriately named "glycin desaster".

I run 2.44.4 but downgrading is not an option for me, since there are so 
many packages depending on pixbuf.
Have you tried 2.42.12?

- Paul

Am 03.03.26 um 11:40 schrieb .:
> Executing 'doas gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders --update-cache' doesn't 
> really change anything. Downgrating gdk-pixbuf package to 2.44.4-r0 
> did make it work again but now I can't do that, but with version 
> 2.44.5-r0 I remember one of things that got pulled with it was 
> bubblewrap which wasn't there before. Is there any variable that can 
> disable sandboxing for gtk?

---

From: "." <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2026 10:19:00 +0000

I noticed I had # before least stable repositories links in 
/etc/apk/repositories file but, regardless of that I still would like to 
know what could have been the problem becouse It won't automatically 
disappear.

It purged libglycin bubblewrap,glycin-image-rs,librsvg and glycin-svg 
when downgrading gdk-pixbuf  to 2.44.4-r0.