~alpine/users

8 4

SDL apps and glxgears fail to open under GNOME+Wayland

David Demelier <markand@malikania.fr>
<2e88c29eb1dcbab2d0f3e1fda8f1929e06d6f1ac.camel@malikania.fr>
Hello,

I'm running GNOME under wayland on Alpine 3.11. It works almost
flawlessly but I do have a trouble regarding SDL based applications and
glxgears.

$ ./molko
GLX is not supported
$ glxgears
Error: couldn't get an RGB, Double-buffered visual

Note: using SDL_VIDEODRIVER=wayland works fine though.

Did I miss to do/install something? I have a intel card from Thinkpad
x1 carbon.

Regards

--
David
PICCORO McKAY Lenz <mckaygerhard@gmail.com>
markand@malikania.fr) escribió:

> glxgears.
>
> $ ./molko
> GLX is not supported
> $ glxgears
> Error: couldn't get an RGB, Double-buffered visual
>
> Note: using SDL_VIDEODRIVER=wayland works fine though.

as you noted this is a XORG problem very happened beetween
updates/upgrades..
it happened to me when i used debian 6.0 squeeze with my i915, so then a
backpórted xorg
was uploaded to backports packages.. and that's work ...

in your case before doin something firts try to install any mesa related
package,
later install any firmware related and last any gpu related xorg package

BUT: using SDL_VIDEODRIVER=wayland indicates to the app/program that
the display are not xorg.. so that's way works fine..

gnome and the stupid wayland are the only desktop (well kde in minor too)
that
used that shit of redhat windo.

rest of program does not used any wayland related interface so that's why u
must indicated

that's why i not updated if are already working..

Nathan Edson <mail@nedson.net>
<E1irUxa-0005Dn-Vn@rmmprod05.runbox>
In-Reply-To
<2e88c29eb1dcbab2d0f3e1fda8f1929e06d6f1ac.camel@malikania.fr> (view parent)
+unsubscribe
David Demelier <markand@malikania.fr>
<caa314f988daa3067e725ea53df5cad1b01bfaeb.camel@malikania.fr>
On Tue, 2020-01-14 at 12:20 +0100, David Demelier wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm running GNOME under wayland on Alpine 3.11. It works almost
> flawlessly but I do have a trouble regarding SDL based applications
> and
> glxgears.
>
> $ ./molko
> GLX is not supported
> $ glxgears
> Error: couldn't get an RGB, Double-buffered visual

On a X11 wm (dwm) both work fine. So I presume there is an error in
GNOME XWayland support. I don't find many information about this
though.

Any ideas?

--
David
PICCORO McKAY Lenz <mckaygerhard@gmail.com>
<CALci+FTjnHdUBFf-V60kj9DWi3osr7=9YORAHDSosDosTu=cXw@mail.gmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<caa314f988daa3067e725ea53df5cad1b01bfaeb.camel@malikania.fr> (view parent)
El mié., 15 de ene. de 2020 a la(s) 07:29, David Demelier (
markand@malikania.fr) escribió:

> On a X11 wm (dwm) both work fine. So I presume there is an error in
> GNOME XWayland support. I don't find many information about this
> though.

seems do you not read my mail! wayland detection are not performed so when
you try to run the app, will assume Xorg not tht shit.. that's all.. that's
why if you choose manually the support of the graphic will work of course

> Any ideas?
>
> --
> David

David Demelier <markand@malikania.fr>
<7ef20694-5f13-54bc-d784-14badb90e731@malikania.fr>
In-Reply-To
<CALci+FTjnHdUBFf-V60kj9DWi3osr7=9YORAHDSosDosTu=cXw@mail.gmail.com> (view parent)
Le 15/01/2020 à 13:52, PICCORO McKAY Lenz a écrit :
> seems do you not read my mail! wayland detection are not performed so
> when you try to run the app, will assume Xorg not tht shit.. that's
> all.. that's why if you choose manually the support of the graphic will
> work of course

Yes I've read but it does not explain the trouble. GNOME has XWayland
support and those applications work fine under Arch Linux with GNOME
under Wayland as well.

Also, please refrain yourself for your vocabulary against wayland. You
like or dislike is pretty subjective matter and not acceptable on a
mailing list.

--
David
PICCORO McKAY Lenz <mckaygerhard@gmail.com>
<CALci+FQH2C9ddDUgn12V4sV92N43+-Jfq7vtNdv+WVi2BBex=g@mail.gmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<7ef20694-5f13-54bc-d784-14badb90e731@malikania.fr> (view parent)
El mié., 15 de ene. de 2020 a la(s) 09:57, David Demelier (
markand@malikania.fr) escribió:

> Yes I've read but it does not explain the trouble. GNOME has XWayland
> support and those applications work fine under Arch Linux with GNOME
> under Wayland as well.

explain perfectly .. it ovious you don se the code .. same happened in my
mednafen emulator i run under gnomepuach..

> Also, please refrain yourself for your vocabulary against wayland. You
> like or dislike is pretty subjective matter and not acceptable on a
> mailing list.

oh do you prefer the silence! ok! waith forever!

Paul Zillmann <p.zillmann@h6g.de>
<1dbce77b-c109-3e5c-a852-c4be772dc486@h6g.de>
In-Reply-To
<2e88c29eb1dcbab2d0f3e1fda8f1929e06d6f1ac.camel@malikania.fr> (view parent)
Hello David,

could you set the SDL_VIDEODRIVER as a permanent environment variable?
Maybe there is a workaround with this package [1] but I don't have high
hopes for that.
The Arch Linux Wiki [2] states:

> To run a SDL2 application on Wayland, set |SDL_VIDEODRIVER=wayland|.
>
> Note: Many proprietary games come bundled with old versions of SDL,
> which don't support Wayland and might break entirely if you set
> |SDL_VIDEODRIVER=wayland|. To force the application to run with
> XWayland, set |SDL_VIDEODRIVER=x11|.

P.S.: just ignore the dude. everybody here does so.

1:
https://pkgs.alpinelinux.org/package/v3.11/main/x86_64/xorg-server-xwayland
2: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wayland

- Paul

Am 14.01.20 um 12:20 schrieb David Demelier:
> Hello,
>
> I'm running GNOME under wayland on Alpine 3.11. It works almost
> flawlessly but I do have a trouble regarding SDL based applications and
> glxgears.
>
> $ ./molko
> GLX is not supported
> $ glxgears
> Error: couldn't get an RGB, Double-buffered visual
>
> Note: using SDL_VIDEODRIVER=wayland works fine though.
>
> Did I miss to do/install something? I have a intel card from Thinkpad
> x1 carbon.
>
> Regards

PICCORO McKAY Lenz <mckaygerhard@gmail.com>
<CALci+FSHjkkJaNoQDbhJkewqKcZ5WLHSMPRXV4eUnPNTNYT8iw@mail.gmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<1dbce77b-c109-3e5c-a852-c4be772dc486@h6g.de> (view parent)
El mié., 15 de ene. de 2020 a la(s) 13:57, Paul Zillmann (p.zillmann@h6g.de)
escribió:

> To run a SDL2 application on Wayland, set SDL_VIDEODRIVER=wayland.
> Note: Many proprietary games come bundled with old versions of SDL, which
> don't support Wayland and might break entirely if you set
> SDL_VIDEODRIVER=wayland. To force the application to run with XWayland,
> set SDL_VIDEODRIVER=x11.
>
> THAT's i talking about!.. it's obvious he dont watch the code.. where it's
notable the change

> P.S.: just ignore the dude. everybody here does so.
>
> 1:
> https://pkgs.alpinelinux.org/package/v3.11/main/x86_64/xorg-server-xwayland
> 2: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wayland
>
> - Paul
>
> Am 14.01.20 um 12:20 schrieb David Demelier:
>
> Hello,
>
> I'm running GNOME under wayland on Alpine 3.11. It works almost
> flawlessly but I do have a trouble regarding SDL based applications and
> glxgears.
>
> $ ./molko
> GLX is not supported
> $ glxgears
> Error: couldn't get an RGB, Double-buffered visual
>
> Note: using SDL_VIDEODRIVER=wayland works fine though.
>
> Did I miss to do/install something? I have a intel card from Thinkpad
> x1 carbon.
>
> Regards

Reply to thread Export thread (mbox)