Subject: Spreed with Nextcloud as packaged for Alpine

From: Martin Steigerwald <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2026 11:07:47 +0100

Greetings!

I am using the Alpine Linux Nextcloud packages for quite a while. I really 
appreciate them. Thank you to Leonardo and any other maintainers!

I used the tutorial¹ back then but either missed the section "Video 
Communication" or it was not there yet at that time. Currently I use 
coturn for TUN/STUN. For one on one calls this works nicely. While I 
believe it could work for 3 or maybe 4 people, it is not ideal.

I would like to use a signaling server like spreed as packaged in Alpine 
Linux.

The link to the upstream documentation² just redirects to the generic talk 
landing page at the upstream website. Do you refer to the following 
documentation?

https://nextcloud-talk.readthedocs.io/en/stable/#administration-documentation

I wonder whether I both need coturn and spreed or whether spreed would be 
sufficient. Also I wonder whether coturn and spreed needs to run in the 
same LXC container as Nextcloud or can run in a separate one. If I set up 
the necessary proxy forwarding for the spreed / coturn container I bet it 
should work?

If you have any insight before I head to implementation, please share. If 
I find anything more myself, I am willing to make a follow-up post or try 
to setup a wiki account and add some hints to the tutorial.

[1] https://wiki.alpinelinux.org/wiki/Nextcloud

[2] https://nextcloud.com/webrtc/ => https://nextcloud.com/talk/

Best regards,
-- 
Martin