~alpine/users

6 3

VGA question

Frans de Boer <frans@fransdb.nl>
<5311c434-90ad-c83e-3e83-63b10357777a@fransdb.nl>
Finally found a (very recent) distro with IPv6 support for a very old
laptop (i586).

However, startup problems with X11 since that laptop has no vesa bios
and the chipset (neomagic) is also not supported. Ok, installed
seavgabios-bin...and thereafter I am lost.

Any pointers to give?

Regards, Frans.

--
A: Yes, just like that                            A: Ja, net zo
Q: Oh, Just like reading a book backwards         Q: Oh, net als een boek achterstevoren lezen

Lenz McKAY Gerardo (PICCORO)
http://qgqlochekone.blogspot.com

El sáb., 5 de sep. de 2020 a la(s) 09:29, Frans de Boer (frans@fransdb.nl)
escribió:

> Finally found a (very recent) distro with IPv6 support for a very old
> laptop (i586).
>
> However, startup problems with X11 since that laptop has no vesa bios
> and the chipset (neomagic) is also not supported. Ok, installed
> seavgabios-bin...and thereafter I am lost.
>
> Any pointers to give?
>
> Regards, Frans.
>
> --
> A: Yes, just like that                            A: Ja, net zo
> Q: Oh, Just like reading a book backwards         Q: Oh, net als een boek
> achterstevoren lezen
> A: Because it upsets the natural flow of a story  A: Omdat het de
> natuurlijke gang uit het verhaal haalt
> Q: Why is top-posting annoying?                   Q: Waarom is Top-posting
> zo irritant?

Frans de Boer <frans@fransdb.nl>
<1382ff62-48e4-7bfe-f01d-725134e022aa@fransdb.nl>
In-Reply-To
<CALci+FRWhZ0SMqfTOZ4AKJT6sR2FOPVsj_4TpuJjaYW+7DFq1A@mail.gmail.com> (view parent)
On 2020-09-05 23:32, PICCORO McKAY Lenz wrote:
> is not listed your neomagic vga in https://linux.die.net/man/4/neomagic ?
>  please.. provide more info!
>
> Lenz McKAY Gerardo (PICCORO)
> http://qgqlochekone.blogspot.com
>

> El sáb., 5 de sep. de 2020 a la(s) 09:29, Frans de Boer
> (frans@fransdb.nl <frans@fransdb.nl>) escribió:
>
>     Finally found a (very recent) distro with IPv6 support for a very old
>     laptop (i586).
>
>     However, startup problems with X11 since that laptop has no vesa bios
>     and the chipset (neomagic) is also not supported. Ok, installed
>     seavgabios-bin...and thereafter I am lost.
>
>     Any pointers to give?
>
>     Regards, Frans.
>
>     --
>     A: Yes, just like that                            A: Ja, net zo
>     Q: Oh, Just like reading a book backwards         Q: Oh, net als
>     een boek achterstevoren lezen
>     A: Because it upsets the natural flow of a story  A: Omdat het de
>     natuurlijke gang uit het verhaal haalt
>     Q: Why is top-posting annoying?                   Q: Waarom is
>     Top-posting zo irritant?

Yes, it is the M2160 (128XD). The CPU is a Pentium Mobile MMX (Dell CPi).

Not sure if the seavgabios package has to do with it. If there is not a
native driver, I settle for a standard VGA driver. That, as far as I
see, is not included it the Alpine repositories.

I want to use the system as a ssh client, so I need Xorg to be installed
and running.

--- Frans.

--
A: Yes, just like that                            A: Ja, net zo
Q: Oh, Just like reading a book backwards         Q: Oh, net als een boek achterstevoren lezen

On 05/09/2020 23:32, PICCORO McKAY Lenz wrote:
> is not listed your neomagic vga in https://linux.die.net/man/4/neomagic ?
>  please.. provide more info!

just for info, I gave up using openchrome with Alpine linux, upstream
drivers broke. It worked until last year about.

I installed FreeBSD and it still works - for now.

Lots of nice drivers are going down the drain - some are working but
being culled by several distributions (e.g. neomagic) some are more or
less broken (savage, s3...) if you don't disable completely acceleration
or some other decent functions. Some seem not to work at all, like
openchrome (perhaps I have a misdetection of the screen or so).

This makes several old laptops now useless even for small tasks,
clients, etc. The offer of graphics cards was much more fragmented some
years ago: now it is only ATI, nVidia and Intel. Not that things work
better, but there is less manufacturer variety.

Riccardo
Frans de Boer <frans@fransdb.nl>
<840ccb0e-2fff-8d89-926c-bdc874f469a5@fransdb.nl>
In-Reply-To
<8c73e649-1998-b23c-5548-16c5494329e1@libero.it> (view parent)
On 07-09-2020 08:46, Riccardo Mottola wrote:
> Hi,
>

> On 05/09/2020 23:32, PICCORO McKAY Lenz wrote:
>> is not listed your neomagic vga in
>> https://linux.die.net/man/4/neomagic ?
>>  please.. provide more info!
>

> just for info, I gave up using openchrome with Alpine linux, upstream
> drivers broke. It worked until last year about.
>
> I installed FreeBSD and it still works - for now.
>
> Lots of nice drivers are going down the drain - some are working but
> being culled by several distributions (e.g. neomagic) some are more or
> less broken (savage, s3...) if you don't disable completely
> acceleration or some other decent functions. Some seem not to work at
> all, like openchrome (perhaps I have a misdetection of the screen or so).
>
> This makes several old laptops now useless even for small tasks,
> clients, etc. The offer of graphics cards was much more fragmented
> some years ago: now it is only ATI, nVidia and Intel. Not that things
> work better, but there is less manufacturer variety.
>

> Riccardo

I understand, that's I am willing to settle for VGA (1024x768) only.
There is not much to accelerate anyhow on this old laptop. However, if
there is not even a "normal" VGA driver for Alpine Linux, I need to
continue my search - including some BSD variants - or when all things
fails, produce some extra electronic waste.

-- Frans.

--
A: Yes, just like that                            A: Ja, net zo
Q: Oh, Just like reading a book backwards         Q: Oh, net als een boek achterstevoren lezen
Q: Why is top-posting annoying?                   Q: Waarom is Top-posting zo irritant?
Frans de Boer <frans@fransdb.nl>
<f3e2b332-0915-4526-96f8-62fe0558b660@fransdb.nl>
In-Reply-To
<840ccb0e-2fff-8d89-926c-bdc874f469a5@fransdb.nl> (view parent)
On 2020-09-07 09:29, Frans de Boer wrote:
> On 07-09-2020 08:46, Riccardo Mottola wrote:
>> Hi,
>>

>> On 05/09/2020 23:32, PICCORO McKAY Lenz wrote:
>>> is not listed your neomagic vga in
>>> https://linux.die.net/man/4/neomagic ?
>>>  please.. provide more info!
>>

>> just for info, I gave up using openchrome with Alpine linux, upstream
>> drivers broke. It worked until last year about.
>>
>> I installed FreeBSD and it still works - for now.
>>
>> Lots of nice drivers are going down the drain - some are working but
>> being culled by several distributions (e.g. neomagic) some are more
>> or less broken (savage, s3...) if you don't disable completely
>> acceleration or some other decent functions. Some seem not to work at
>> all, like openchrome (perhaps I have a misdetection of the screen or
>> so).
>>
>> This makes several old laptops now useless even for small tasks,
>> clients, etc. The offer of graphics cards was much more fragmented
>> some years ago: now it is only ATI, nVidia and Intel. Not that things
>> work better, but there is less manufacturer variety.
>>

>> Riccardo
>
> I understand, that's I am willing to settle for VGA (1024x768) only.
> There is not much to accelerate anyhow on this old laptop. However, if
> there is not even a "normal" VGA driver for Alpine Linux, I need to
> continue my search - including some BSD variants - or when all things
> fails, produce some extra electronic waste.
>
> -- Frans.

I took me a lot of experimenting with all kinds of distributions - many
claim i386 but are in fact i686+ only - and finally settle for Debian
8.10 (Jessie). The last Debian release able to run on a i586 processor.

Too bad that Alpine does not support the needed Neomagic or standard
SVGA driver. I only use the system to run SSH over X11.

--- Frans.

--
A: Yes, just like that                            A: Ja, net zo
Q: Oh, Just like reading a book backwards         Q: Oh, net als een boek achterstevoren lezen
Q: Why is top-posting annoying?                   Q: Waarom is Top-posting zo irritant?
PICCORO McKAY Lenz <mckaygerhard@gmail.com>
<CALci+FRpuszWKM_5p6es8CVpY5z8gJ5XPwVB5rDDsfQLJCQL6A@mail.gmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<f3e2b332-0915-4526-96f8-62fe0558b660@fransdb.nl> (view parent)
El sáb., 19 de sep. de 2020 a la(s) 04:02, Frans de Boer (frans@fransdb.nl)
escribió:

> I took me a lot of experimenting with all kinds of distributions - many
> claim i386 but are in fact i686+ only - and finally settle for Debian
> 8.10 (Jessie). The last Debian release able to run on a i586 processor.

was anuncied some years algo.. in fact must be wheeze.. but now jessie also
support them (k6-III also are supported)

if you insterested.. i still made packages for debian olders like Debian
6.. but my Debian 8 packages are i686.. for i585 of my repos you must use
debian 6 or debian 5

> > there is not even a "normal" VGA driver for Alpine Linux, I need to
> Too bad that Alpine does not support the needed Neomagic or standard
> SVGA driver. I only use the system to run SSH over X11.

alpine olders like those 3.6 can run in that laptop.. and older vga modules
can be available..  is a stupid feeling that "we must run lasted of the
lasted" or stupid sentences like "we must be at cutting edge" .. .

> --- Frans.
>
> --
> A: Yes, just like that                            A: Ja, net zo
> Q: Oh, Just like reading a book backwards         Q: Oh, net als een boek
> achterstevoren lezen
> A: Because it upsets the natural flow of a story  A: Omdat het de
> natuurlijke gang uit het verhaal haalt
> Q: Why is top-posting annoying?                   Q: Waarom is Top-posting
> zo irritant?

Reply to thread Export thread (mbox)