~alpine/users

5 4

Pidgin Facebook error

<61abbfed.1c69fb81.5a347.564f@mx.google.com>
Hello,
I get an 'Invalid username or password (401)' error when trying to login into my Facebook account on Pidgin.
I have updated the system and purple-facebook is installed.
Any pointers?
David Demelier <markand@malikania.fr>
<F9618D67-AE0D-4C5E-8659-8E1444C0CE15@malikania.fr>
In-Reply-To
<61abbfed.1c69fb81.5a347.564f@mx.google.com> (view parent)
> On 4 Dec 2021, at 20:22, amc252 <amc252@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello,
> I get an 'Invalid username or password (401)' error when trying to login into my Facebook account on Pidgin.

Hi

Unless I’m wrong but I think it’s been more than a decade that Facebook removed its support for IM’s protocols.

Regards

—
David
antoniomaccagnan <antoniomaccagnan@gmail.com>
<20211204223651.8be63fdd107237ed1b44e88a@gmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<F9618D67-AE0D-4C5E-8659-8E1444C0CE15@malikania.fr> (view parent)
Pidgin + Purple-facebook works fine on Debian, Slitaz, Void, etc. It worked fine on Alpine too until a few months ago, when I last tried it.

--
antoniomaccagnan <antoniomaccagnan@gmail.com>
<61adaf8c.1c69fb81.11192.a370@mx.google.com>
In-Reply-To
<F9618D67-AE0D-4C5E-8659-8E1444C0CE15@malikania.fr> (view parent)
I solved the issue by reinstalling both pidgin and purple-facebook.
My bad, I must have done something wrong.
<45ECC2AC-6B70-4411-ADA7-5018CE7F4211@tower-net.de>
Am 4. Dezember 2021 21:50:31 UTC schrieb David Demelier <markand@malikania.fr>:

>> On 4 Dec 2021, at 20:22, amc252 <amc252@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>> I get an 'Invalid username or password (401)' error when trying to login into my Facebook account on Pidgin.
>
>Hi
>
>Unless I’m wrong but I think it’s been more than a decade that Facebook removed its support for IM’s protocols.
>
>Regards
>
>—
>David

Hello David,

the pidgin plugin uses the official Facebook Messenger Platform API, I think.
Some years ago Facebook has used the XMPP/Jabber protocol for the Messenger, later provided a compatible layer and then discontinued this support.

Markus
<CFC566E4-ECDB-490E-A7FE-2B795EBD1A7A@tower-net.de>
In-Reply-To
<61adaf8c.1c69fb81.11192.a370@mx.google.com> (view parent)
Am 6. Dezember 2021 06:36:56 UTC schrieb amc252 <amc252@gmail.com>:
>I solved the issue by reinstalling both pidgin and purple-facebook.
>My bad, I must have done something wrong.

Maybe you have forgotten the ˋ--availableˋ switch to reinstall the installed packages during the upgrade.
At least if you have upgraded to a new Alpine version.

https://wiki.alpinelinux.org/wiki/Upgrading_Alpine#Upgrading_packages
Reply to thread Export thread (mbox)