Subject: How to change RTC from UTC to local?

From: Ralf Mardorf <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2023 10:12:20 +0200

Hi,

on my machines RTC is always in local time. How can I make Alpine set up
to interpret it as local time?

To avoid discussions: RTC in local time has got no disadvantages, but it
has got an advantage for usage on my machines. FWIW it has got nothing
to do with Windows, no Windows is installed on bare metal at all.

Regards,
Ralf

---

From: Ralf Mardorf <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2023 10:19:36 +0200

My apologies, by accident the wrong email address was chosen. Please
don't reply to this thread. Instead reply to
https://lists.alpinelinux.org/~alpine/users/%3C62faf8aa2f258164398f44c0b932d0692d6a087b.camel%40riseup.net%3E
since here the email address of my mailing list account is chosen.

---

From: Lars-Erik Helander <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2023 15:34:23 +0200

Since it is not obvious how to solve your question, you also point out a disadvantage of using local time in RTC.

I think you are asking for the ”wrong” solution. I know you did not want a discussion so I will say no more than this.

Skickat från min iPhone

> 1 juni 2023 kl. 10:12 skrev Ralf Mardorf <[email-masked]>:
> 
> Hi,
>

---

From: Ralf Mardorf <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2023 17:04:17 +0200

On Thu, 2023-06-01 at 15:34 +0200, Lars-Erik Helander wrote:

> Since it is not obvious how to solve your question, you also point out
> a disadvantage of using local time in RTC.

Hi,

local time in RTC has got disadvantages, but not for my desktop PC
usage. For me it has got the advantage that I always get local time,
even if no OS is involved at all, e.g. when storing files such as
firmware settings.

Using it for way more than a decade, it never caused an issue, so
there's no disadvantage for my kind of desktop PC usage.

> I think you are asking for the ”wrong” solution.

No, for me it's the right solution. Maybe it's unusual, but not wrong.

Regards,
Ralf