Subject: [alpine-user] Alpine Linu Audio

From: Pietro Leone Pola Falletti di Villafalletto <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2018 15:07:26 +0100

Hi, I want to use AlpineLinux on a RaspberryPi3 as a radio, now I use 
Debian. I followed a couple of tutorial, but the issue is that snd 
module is not loaded and even if I load it by hand asamixer does not 
work. In dev/snd I see only /dev/snd/timer.

Thanks, Pietro.
-- 
I will build myself a copper tower
With four ways out and no way in
But mine the glory, mine the power
(So I chose AmigaOS, LinuxOS and OpenBSD)

---
Unsubscribe:  [email-masked]
Help:         [email-masked]
---

---

From: Christian Kujau <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2018 16:22:57 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 15 Nov 2018, Pietro Leone Pola Falletti di Villafalletto wrote:
> Hi, I want to use AlpineLinux on a RaspberryPi3 as a radio, now I use Debian.

Even posting the question twice to the list, but without any more details 
to go by :-\ So, it looks as if your Pi has some trouble accessing the 
sound chip. But w/o details, one can only guess.

May I suggest: http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#beprecise

Thanks,
C.

> I followed a couple of tutorial, but the issue is that snd module is not
> loaded and even if I load it by hand asamixer does not work. In dev/snd I see
> only /dev/snd/timer.
-- 
BOFH excuse #395:

Redundant ACLs.

---

---

From: Vincent Bentley <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2018 09:34:52 +0000

I am English. My mastery of German, French, Italian, Spanish and Welsh 
languages is rudimentary. I stumble along trying my best when I need to 
communicate using them.

Pietro's request looked to me like someone bravely asking for assistance 
in a language foreign to their own. To me, the message was interpreted 
as "Has anyone out there got ALSA working on a Raspberry Pi 3 using 
Alpine Linux, it works on Debian?".

Pietro, I don't have a Raspberry Pi 3, so I cannot answer your question. 
Perhaps someone else can.

Christian, thanks for posting the link. I found it both interesting and 
useful.

-Vince-

---

---

From: Pietro Leone Pola Falletti di Villafalletto <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2018 16:46:26 +0100

Hallo, sorry for the double post, I did not received the first one so I 
supposed something went wrong. Yes, English is not my mother tongue, but 
this it is not an excuse to be so relaxed in writing the help request.

By now I'm using a cubietruck as a music player, using a bash script I 
choose randomly the ogg files and then I create a m3u playlist that is 
played automatically by ogg123 at boot. Everyday at 6.00AM the 
cubietruck restarts, a new playlist is created and played.

I want to do the same thing using alpine linux on a RaspberryPy3. But I 
have some issue with sound device.

I'm already using Alpine as a DHCP/DNS/Proxy server at home and I use as 
much as possible in my experiment using Docker, but I never used it in a 
more multimedia/desktop role.

I'm using AlpineLinux 3.8.1, I noticed the kernel module snd_bcm2835 is 
not loaded by default. I added the module name in /etc/modules and it is 
loaded at boot time, but nothing else. I installed alsa, alsamixer and 
various dipendences following the audio tutorial on AlpineLinux wiki, 
but the sound card is not recognized and now I'm stuck.

When I try launching alsamixer:

cannot open mixer: No such file or directory

Thanks, Pietro.

On 2018-11-16 10:34, Vincent Bentley wrote:
>>> Debian.

-- 
I will build myself a copper tower
With four ways out and no way in
But mine the glory, mine the power
)So I chose amigaOS, LinuxOS and OpenBSD)

---

---

From: Chloe Kudryavtsev <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2018 09:13:33 -0500

On 11/15/18 9:07 AM, Pietro Leone Pola Falletti di Villafalletto wrote:
> the issue is that snd module is not loaded and even if I load it by hand >  asamixer does not work. In dev/snd I see only /dev/snd/timer.Sounds 
like your hardware isn't being autodetected. Or the correct module is 
missing.
snd on its own does not do much, the one you're interested in looks more 
like snd_hardware_identifier.
In the case of the rpi3, I believe it's supposed to use snd_bcm2835.

Looking at the linux-rpi kernel (which I hope you're using), it uses 
defconfig, and does not patch that module off.
It is my understanding that defconfig as of 4.10 *should* have it 
modularized by default.
It also does not appear to be split into a subpackage.

As such, I would try loading snd_bcm2835.
If this helps, use the modules initscript to force-load it on boot.
If the module is missing, you can compile it out-of-tree, or make your 
own kernel configuration (or patch the linux-rpi aport to explicitly 
include it).

---