Subject: Issue with gnome

From: Philippe Doublet <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2019 15:50:16 +0200

Dear users, I got interested in Alpine and trying to work on it a 
little. I have installed it ("sys" install of v3.10-extended) on a gnome 
boxes virtual machine (it uses libvirt and qemu, as I understand).

So after installation, I added all the repositories : 
edge/main,community and testing, did update/upgrade and followed 
instructions to install Gnome there 
https://wiki.alpinelinux.org/wiki/Gnome_Setup (plus xf86-video-qxl 
drivers installed).

Launching from gdm (rc-service gdm start) gets a black screen a tenth of 
a second and goes back to the terminal. From the gdm greeter.log file, 
the failure seems to come from : "Failed to create backend : No GPUs 
found with udev". What to do ?

Other things I have tried :

- install MATE and launch it, which works via lxdm (lightdm does not 
work). So from lxdm I tried also to launch Gnome but none of the options 
worked, all leaving an error screen.

- install Sway, and the same kind of error appears (0 gpu found). (Note 
that I need to export XDG_RUNTIME_DIR to /tmp if I want to run sway.)

I have the feeling it is most probably an Xorg configuration issue but 
would have expected it to work out of the box but I am not an expert and 
could not really find solutions in various forums.

Thank you for your help.

Regards,

Philippe

---

From: xcko <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2019 00:10:14 -0700

Philippe Doublet wrote:
> installed alpine ("sys" install of v3.10-extended) on a gnome boxes virtual
> machine (it uses libvirt and qemu, as I understand).
> (plus xf86-video-qxl drivers installed).
> 
> gdm greeter.log file, the failure seems to come from : "Failed to create
> backend : No GPUs found with udev". What to do ?

Sounds like a driver issue.

Did you pass -vga qxl to qemu? I'm not familiar with qxl/spice but according
to here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/QEMU#qxl

Otherwise, I would experiment with removing the qxl driver so the guest falls
back onto the modesetting driver. Although the page is a little sparse, and
grsec is no longer used, see https://wiki.alpinelinux.org/wiki/Qemu as well if
you haven't already. Good luck.