Subject: kitty fails to launch after upgrade to 3.22

From: Jon Fineman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 31 May 2025 19:20:34 -0400

When trying to run kitty (version 0.42.1) I get the below error. Any
thoughts on how to debug this? This happens using sway and the
console.

Thanks.

Jon

$: kitty
[1.493] Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/../lib/kitty/kitty/main.py", line 571, in main
    kitty_main(called_from_panel)
  File "/usr/bin/../lib/kitty/kitty/main.py", line 553, in kitty_main
    run_app(opts, cli_opts, bad_lines, talk_fd)
  File "/usr/bin/../lib/kitty/kitty/main.py", line 308, in __call__
    _run_app(opts, args, bad_lines, talk_fd)
  File "/usr/bin/../lib/kitty/kitty/main.py", line 281, in _run_app
    boss = Boss(opts, args, cached_values, global_shortcuts, talk_fd)
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/bin/../lib/kitty/kitty/boss.py", line 411, in __init__
    self.atexit.unlink(store_effective_config())
  File "/usr/bin/../lib/kitty/kitty/boss.py", line 191, in unlink
    self._write_line(f'unlink {path}')
  File "/usr/bin/../lib/kitty/kitty/boss.py", line 183, in _write_line
    w = self.worker = subprocess.Popen([kitten_exe(), '__atexit__'], stdin=subprocess.PIPE, stdout=subprocess.DEVNULL, close_fds=True)
                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/lib/python3.12/subprocess.py", line 1026, in __init__
    self._execute_child(args, executable, preexec_fn, close_fds,
  File "/usr/lib/python3.12/subprocess.py", line 1955, in _execute_child
    raise child_exception_type(errno_num, err_msg, err_filename)
FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/usr/bin/kitten'