Subject: firefox high cpu under sway

From: Jon Fineman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2024 10:26:07 -0400

I was wondering if anybody else was seeing this issue with Firefox and if
anybody had any ideas how to fix it.

After doing an apk upgrade/update I think about two weeks ago when launching
firefox on some sites it would go to greater than 90% CPU. Prior to
that firefox was fine.

When I run firefox from a foot terminal and then when I try and quit firefox
(ctrl-q) the firefox screen would close, but the process would not
end. I.e. the browser window would go away and I was left with the
firefox command still running in the terminal window. Sometimes it
would end.

Launching with home blank tab uses over 90% CPU.
Launching with --safe-mode doesn't help.
Clearing cache didn't help.

I am running:
alpinelinux 3.20.1
sway 1.9
firefox 126.0.1

Thanks.

Jon

---

From: Bjoern Franke <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2024 19:01:23 +0200

Hi,

> anybody had any ideas how to fix it.

what does about:processes in Firefox show?

Regards
Bjoern

---

From: Jon Fineman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2024 15:17:10 -0400

> what does about:processes in Firefox show?

Well as I was taking a rather long time to figure out how to take a
screen shoot in wayland firefox finally settled down. Not sure what
would take 10 plus minutes to update. The only extensions I have are
bitwarden, ublock origin, and disable html5 autoplay.

While the install is relatively new (~4 months), firefox had been
working fine up until about two-three weeks ago.

A mystery I guess.

Thanks for your help.

Jon

---

From: Vincent Bentley <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2024 20:50:36 +0100

This is a just a suggestion for something to investigate...

How is your Firefox doing DNS resolution?
Is it via UDP to port 53 or
via TCP/UDP to port 53 (DNSSEC) or
via TLS on TCP port 853?

Are your resolvers capable of resolving how Firefox is configured?
Is a firewall blocking TCP port 853?
Is the DNS query result too big for UDP and TCP port 53 is not enabled 
for DNS?

-Vince-