Subject: mdev was kicked off by eudev/udev after update

From: Stefan Hartmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2023 18:26:39 +0100

Hi,

I am running 3 virtualization host with Alpine 3.19.0 on x86_64 
hardware. The hosts virtualize with lxc and qemu-kvm.
I enjoy the minimalistic and deterministic behaviour in Alpine Linux 
very well!

Today after an update the already running mdev, as seen in 
/var/log/rc.log, was kicked off by the later dynamically startet 
/sbin/udev, provided by eudev*, also shown by rc-status -v.
rc-update -v shows no start dependency for the 4 (!) udev init scripts.

Because of dependencies apk del eudev* ist sadly not possible.

My workaround was now sudo chmod -x /etc/init.d/udev*. After a reboot 
mdev does its work as always, the usb smart card reader is passed 
through to a qemu kvm vm to unlock the var-lib-partition.

How to get rid of eudev/udev to get a clean system again?
I need no huge udev-rules, which are not used at all - all is in mdev.conf.

Should the dependencies be adjusted?

-- 
Stefan Hartmann - ib.hafenthal.de

---

From: "Laurent Bercot" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2023 21:50:59 +0000

>Today after an update the already running mdev, as seen in /var/log/rc.log, was kicked off by the later dynamically startet /sbin/udev, provided by eudev*, also shown by rc-status -v.

  "/sbin/setup-devd mdev" should set mdev back up as your device manager.
("/sbin/setup-devd mdevd" would be even better, but it's your choice.)

  It would be interesting to know what prompted udev to be installed;
maybe there's a dependency we can remove.

--
  Laurent