Subject: [alpine-user] Wacom tablet has stopped working

From: fao_ <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2019 05:36:28 +0000

Hi,
Today after a few months of disuse, I decided to plug in my wacom 
tablet.
The light comes on, and the tablet seems to detect the pen, however the
cursor does not move. This bug is present when using the USB cable and 
when
using the wireless dongle.

After some digging, it seems that the tablet is detected by the kernel, 
the
default udev rules are run, and Xorg attempts to load the driver. 
However,
it fails to open the serial console because:

> (EE) Serial Wacom Tablet WACf004: Error opening /dev/ttyS0 (I/O error)

Running statserial gives me:

> $ sudo statserial /dev/ttyS0
> statserial: TIOCMGET failed: I/O error

(Indeed, I get the same result from all of /dev/ttyS*)

`dmesg` doesn't seem to have anything particularly interesting in it, 
but
I've attached both dmesg and Xorg.0.log in case there's something useful
there I'm not seeing.

Removing the `xf86-input-wacom` package and relying on libinput to 
provide
access to the tablet, seems to produce the same bug.

I'm not sure where to go from here, so any advice that you can give will
probably be useful.

Thanks in advance.

-- 
- fao_
PGP fingerprint: 739B 6C5C 3DE1 33FA
"Too enough is always not much!"

---

From: PICCORO McKAY Lenz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2019 13:27:18 -0400

i have similar problems,but nomadays there's a older versin of alpine
today i do not havbe anymore that device and i remenber that
the tablet working but the problem is the stylus lagging and
firmware/kernel modules

try to check the kernel modules around wacom* changes, there's an acient
wacom_serial module and a newer wacom and wacom_w8001, that lasted are
equivalent to the firts and must provide access to hardware serial.. adn i
guest in your case..

then to try to enable the pen must use inputattach as does in geento
forums/docs (due the systemd crap there's no much info around.. neither in
alpine wiki) so due that pooor documentation best choice to see are geento
forums (not exactly about wacom tables, but similar ...)

---

From: fao_ <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2019 02:15:10 +0000

Hi,

just for the record and to avoid the problem from xkcd://979
(my thread is one of two threads that comes up when searching
for this problem), I fixed it by doing three things:

1) Downloading the latest source release of input-wacom from here:
    https://github.com/linuxwacom/input-wacom/releases
    and compiling and installing it (details are in the repo's wiki).

2) Downloading the latest source release of xf86-input-wacom from here:
    https://github.com/linuxwacom/xf86-input-wacom/releases
    and compiling and installing it (details are in the repo's wiki).

3) Adding 'wacom' to the end of /etc/modules

4) Rebooting.

Interestingly enough the serial bus error has not gone away, the Xorg
log still shows an I/O error on /dev/ttyS0, but the tablet now works
and there is more information wrt. connecting and disconnecting the
tablet in `dmesg -w`'s output (and the tablet now shows up in 
xsetwacom's
output). So to me it looks like it's now bypassing the old method of
communicating.

It is worth noting that the kernel module shipped with Alpine:
wacom_w8001, is actually a driver for communcating with *old* wacom
tablets.

On 2019-01-08 5:36 am, fao_ wrote:
>> $ sudo statserial /dev/ttyS0the only

---
Unsubscribe:  [email-masked]
Help:         [email-masked]
---

---

From: PICCORO McKAY Lenz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2019 10:42:41 -0400

El dom., 20 de ene. de 2019 a la(s) 22:15, fao_ ([email-masked])
escribió:

> t is worth noting that the kernel module shipped with Alpine:
that drivers must be used for those devices that not handle internal or by
usb inclusivelly if are *newer*