Subject: Audio not working

From: Ernest Noga <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2023 12:09:17 +0200

I currently have a working alpine install with sway and pipewire, I have
followed pipewire and sway wiki pages as closely as possible yet my audio
does not work, despite it working on other distros live desktops, so I know
it's possible on linux in general. I have installed sof-firmware. My laptop
is Dell XPS 13 Plus 9320. aplay -l shows no sound cards nor does
/proc/asound/cards and wpctl status shows no audio devices, sinks or
endpoints. My /dev/snd is empty except of timer, therefore I believe this
is a kernel issue.

Output of dmesg | grep -iE 'snd|sof':
[    0.028435] software IO TLB: area num 16.
[    0.818426] pps_core: Software ver. 5.3.6 - Copyright 2005-2007 Rodolfo
Giometti <[email-masked]>
[    0.914240] PCI-DMA: Using software bounce buffering for IO (SWIOTLB)
[    0.914241] software IO TLB: mapped [mem
0x000000004e6e0000-0x00000000526e0000] (64MB)
[   28.965165] snd_hda_intel 0000:00:1f.3: DSP detected with PCI
class/subclass/prog-if info 0x040100
[   28.965303] snd_hda_intel 0000:00:1f.3: SoundWire enabled on CannonLake+
platform, using SOF driver
[   29.000619] sof-audio-pci-intel-tgl 0000:00:1f.3: DSP detected with PCI
class/subclass/prog-if info 0x040100
[   29.000681] sof-audio-pci-intel-tgl 0000:00:1f.3: SoundWire enabled on
CannonLake+ platform, using SOF driver
[   29.000686] sof-audio-pci-intel-tgl 0000:00:1f.3: enabling device (0000
-> 0002)
[   29.000793] sof-audio-pci-intel-tgl 0000:00:1f.3: DSP detected with PCI
class/subclass/prog-if 0x040100
[   29.000834] sof-audio-pci-intel-tgl 0000:00:1f.3: bound 0000:00:02.0
(ops i915_exit [i915])
[   29.007242] sof-audio-pci-intel-tgl 0000:00:1f.3: use msi interrupt mode
[   29.023214] sof-audio-pci-intel-tgl 0000:00:1f.3: DMICs detected in NHLT
tables: 0
[   29.023217] sof-audio-pci-intel-tgl 0000:00:1f.3: hda codecs found, mask
4
[   29.024711] sof-audio-pci-intel-tgl 0000:00:1f.3: Firmware info: version
2:2:0-57864
[   29.024713] sof-audio-pci-intel-tgl 0000:00:1f.3: Firmware: ABI 3:22:1
Kernel ABI 3:23:0
[   29.024714] sof-audio-pci-intel-tgl 0000:00:1f.3: unknown sof_ext_man
header type 3 size 0x30
[   29.121343] sof-audio-pci-intel-tgl 0000:00:1f.3: Firmware info: version
2:2:0-57864
[   29.121346] sof-audio-pci-intel-tgl 0000:00:1f.3: Firmware: ABI 3:22:1
Kernel ABI 3:23:0

Output of lspci -k | grep -i audio:
00:1f.3 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation Alder Lake PCH-P
High Definition Audio Controller (rev 01)
Kernel driver in use: sof-audio-pci-intel-tgl

---

From: Ernest Noga <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2023 12:11:27 +0200

I have forgot to mention that I am using edge repos and linux-edge

On Fri, Oct 6, 2023 at 12:09 PM Ernest Noga <[email-masked]> wrote:

> [   28.965303] snd_hda_intel 0000:00:1f.3: SoundWire enabled on
> [   29.023214] sof-audio-pci-intel-tgl 0000:00:1f.3: DMICs detected in
> NHLT tables: 0
> [   29.023217] sof-audio-pci-intel-tgl 0000:00:1f.3: hda codecs found,
> mask 4
> [   29.024711] sof-audio-pci-intel-tgl 0000:00:1f.3: Firmware info:
> version 2:2:0-57864
> [   29.121343] sof-audio-pci-intel-tgl 0000:00:1f.3: Firmware info:
> version 2:2:0-57864

---

From: Bobby Hiltz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2023 12:31:54 +0200 (GMT+02:00)

Hi,

Have you added yourself to the audio group? And you stated the alsa service?

While I don't have the same device as you, I have followed the instructions here,

https://git.sr.ht/~bt/alpine-linux-setup

in particular this script script

https://git.sr.ht/~bt/alpine-linux-setup/tree/master/item/setup.sh

helped me figure out what packages I needed.

---

From: Ernest Noga <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2023 11:37:44 +0200

Yes I have added myself to audio group and reading the provided script did
not give me any ideas

On Fri, Oct 6, 2023, 12:11 Ernest Noga <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> [    0.818426] pps_core: Software ver. 5.3.6 - Copyright 2005-2007
>> Rodolfo Giometti <[email-masked]>
>> [   29.000619] sof-audio-pci-intel-tgl 0000:00:1f.3: DSP detected with
>> PCI class/subclass/prog-if info 0x040100
>> [   29.000686] sof-audio-pci-intel-tgl 0000:00:1f.3: enabling device
>> (0000 -> 0002)
>> [   29.000793] sof-audio-pci-intel-tgl 0000:00:1f.3: DSP detected with
>> PCI class/subclass/prog-if 0x040100