Subject: [alpine-user] Are all supported architectures little endian?

From: ardi <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2018 22:08:46 +0200

Hi!

I'd like to know if all architectures supported by Alpine Linux are
little endian, or if it can be installed to run as a big endian system
too (I'm asking this because, as a developer, I'd like to have a big
endian system for testing endian compatibility within my code).

In case it only supports little endian architectures... is there any
technical reason for that choice? (I mean, maybe some core component
is not endian-safe?)

Thanks!

---
Unsubscribe:  [email-masked]
Help:         [email-masked]
---

---

From: William Pitcock <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2018 14:48:35 -0500

Hello,

> technical reason for that choice? (I mean, maybe some core component

Most architectures are little endian, but Alpine does run on IBM
mainframes which are big endian.
There is also a work in progress ppc64 port to compliment the ppc64le one.

William

---

---

From: ardi <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2018 09:55:32 +0200

> There is also a work in progress ppc64 port to compliment the ppc64le one.

Thanks a lot for the clarification! This means that building it in a
big-endian environment is technically possible. Thanks!

ardi

---