Subject: [alpine-user] Trying to get Wireguard to work

From: Andrew Stuart <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2018 07:20:01 +1100

I am trying to make Wireguard work on Alpine Linux using vanilla 64 bit

I can't get past this error:

ip" RTNETLINK answers: not supported

This is a video showing how far I get in the process and where I am stuck.

http://www.supercoders.com.au/josewireguard.mp4

Anyone have any idea what might be wrong?

thanks

Andrew

---

From: Natanael Copa <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2018 23:39:42 +0100

On Wed, 7 Feb 2018 07:20:01 +1100

> Anyone have any idea what might be wrong?

You need a running kernel from edge. The version of linux-vanilla and
wireguard-vanilla must correspond.

-nc

---
Unsubscribe:  [email-masked]
Help:         [email-masked]
---

---

From: Andrew Stuart <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2018 10:03:25 +1100

>>> You need a running kernel from edge. 

I’m a noob with Alpine.  Can you point me in the right direction of how to do that?  I am currently using a kernel and initramfs from ISO on the Alpine downloads page…. do you mean that these kernels not have the required drivers in them for wireguard?

I am booting Alpine in a run-from-ram configuration, loaded purely from the kernel and initramfs. I am guessing you are saying I need to install new kernel drivers…. does that work in a pure run from ram config?

>> The version of linux-vanilla and wireguard-vanilla must correspond.

How can I check that I am running corresponding versions?

thanks

Andrew

---

---

From: Natanael Copa <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2018 02:46:18 +0100

On Wed, 7 Feb 2018 10:03:25 +1100
Andrew Stuart <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I’m a noob with Alpine.  Can you point me in the right direction of
> how to do that?  I am currently using a kernel and initramfs from ISO
> on the Alpine downloads page…. do you mean that these kernels not
> have the required drivers in them for wireguard?

Correct. wireguard drivers were considered "unstable" at the time we
cut the v3.7 release so they are only available via edge/testing repo
which means you need to run the kernel from edge/main repo.

> I am booting Alpine in a run-from-ram configuration, loaded purely
> from the kernel and initramfs. I am guessing you are saying I need to
> install new kernel drivers…. does that work in a pure run from ram
> config?

The simplest thing to do would be to make a traditional disk install,
and upgrade this to edge (in theory you can run setup-alpine, and
select "none" for disk, edit /etc/apk/repository and change all 'v3.7'
to 'edge', and then run `setup-disk`, and then select the disk you want
install it to.

If your run-from-ram boot media is writable (disk of some sort), then
you should be able to edit /etc/apk/repository (change to 'edge') and
then run update-kernel to recreate the boot/ directory of your boot
media, with the latest kernel. You also need to include the
wireguard-vanilla driver in the boot/modloop-vanilla loopback file. I 

> How can I check that I am running corresponding versions?

`uname -a` will tell you the running kernel version. `apk search
wireguard-vanilla` will tell you the version of the kernel driver.

-nc

---