Subject: [alpine-user] Installing package from later version?

From: Dave Johansen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2017 14:43:39 -0700

I'm trying to use the version of chromium from 3.7 in 3.6, but I need to
update freetype for that to work. When running this command:

apk add --upgrade 'freetype>2.8.1' --repository
http://dl-cdn.alpinelinux.org/alpine/v3.7/community

I get this error:

ERROR: unsatisfiable constraints:
  freetype-2.7.1-r1:
    breaks: world[freetype>2.8.1]
    satisfies:
               chromium-61.0.3163.100-r0[so:libfreetype.so.6]
               pango-1.40.5-r0[so:libfreetype.so.6]
               cairo-1.14.8-r0[so:libfreetype.so.6]
               libxft-2.3.2-r1[so:libfreetype.so.6]
               harfbuzz-1.3.4-r1[so:libfreetype.so.6]
               chromium-chromedriver-61.0.3163.100-r0[so:libfreetype.so.6]
               fontconfig-2.12.1-r0[so:libfreetype.so.6]
               mkfontscale-1.0.7-r2[so:libfreetype.so.6]

Is there a way to fix that?

Here's the relevant bug:
https://bugs.alpinelinux.org/issues/8197#change-22179

Thanks,
Dave

---

From: Jean-Louis Fuchs <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2017 20:13:52 +0100

Hi Dave

On Tue, Dec 05, 2017 at 02:43:39PM -0700, Dave Johansen wrote:

It is definitely not recommended, even if you can install a future
version it might introduce subtle bugs. The best way to do this is:

1. Clone the aports repository.
2. cd to chromium
3. abuild -rK

But even that might fail, because packages have been renamed or aren't
compatible anymore. In that case you have to backport and build even
more packages. And be aware that chromium is one of these packages
that takes forever to build.

So in the end upgrading to 3.7 is the recommended way.

Best,
    Jean-Louis

---

From: Dave Johansen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2018 12:47:45 -0700

I was able to update to Alpine 3.7. I'm using the Python Docker container
and originally it looked like they might not support 3.7, but they did and
so I was able to switch.
Thanks,
Dave