Subject: [alpine-user] Wifi connection problem

From: Genoperno Translucente <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2019 21:30:36 +0100

I have a problem with a wifi connection, I'm using alpine 3.9.2.
I use the "setup-interfaces" script, enter the network ssid, the
password and then I choose dhcp.
When I restart the networking (/etc/init.d/networking restart), alpine
try to connect unsuccessfully:
...
udhcpc: sending discover
udhcpc failed to get a DHCP lease
udhcpc: no lease, forking to background

I also tried inserting ip, netmask and gateways manually but it
doesn't work anyway.

On other PCs the connection works correctly (both in dhcp and manually
mode) and also on the same PC with another live distro.
Instead Alpine have any problem with wifi tethering of my phone (both
manual and with dhcp), so I can't even imagine what kind of problem
that would be.

---
Unsubscribe:  [email-masked]
Help:         [email-masked]
---

---

From: Steffen Nurpmeso <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2019 23:23:57 +0100

Genoperno Translucente wrote in <CAB+Gb1EJ3Ai+ts68hEj2HbjGWb-T6BMeVL3L0G\
[email-masked]>:
 |I have a problem with a wifi connection, I'm using alpine 3.9.2.
 |I use the "setup-interfaces" script, enter the network ssid, the
 |password and then I choose dhcp.
 |When I restart the networking (/etc/init.d/networking restart), alpine
 |try to connect unsuccessfully:
 |...
 |udhcpc: sending discover
 |udhcpc failed to get a DHCP lease
 |udhcpc: no lease, forking to background
 |
 |I also tried inserting ip, netmask and gateways manually but it
 |doesn't work anyway.
 |
 |On other PCs the connection works correctly (both in dhcp and manually
 |mode) and also on the same PC with another live distro.
 |Instead Alpine have any problem with wifi tethering of my phone (both
 |manual and with dhcp), so I can't even imagine what kind of problem
 |that would be.

How long did you wait?  I am not doing it like you, but DHCP
sometimes needs some time to get the address.

--steffen
|
|Der Kragenbaer,                The moon bear,
|der holt sich munter           he cheerfully and one by one
|einen nach dem anderen runter  wa.ks himself off
|(By Robert Gernhardt)

---

---

From: Genoperno Translucente <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2019 03:46:24 +0100

Sorry for the response time but I made many attempts and other
settings at the same time. I haven't been able to fix it yet, I think
that after this message I will open an issue on the bugtracker.

@Steffen: I try to add this string "udhcpc_opts -t 12" at file
/etc/network/interfaces under wlan0 section, but without any success.
(this made me realize that the package "dhcpcd" is not installed by
default, I installed it and I no longer had the error "udhcpc: no
lease, forking to background", but the connection still does not
work).

@PIKKORO: I tried to follow you procedure but with no results, I made
some small changes:
1) rc-service start dhcpcd: I reversed the word start and dhcpcd (maybe a typo)
2) at the end of the file "/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf" i
add "key_mgmt=WPA-PSK" and "psk="my_password"" because i have a pass
setted.
3) because after I start the service "rc-service wpa_supplicant start"
anything happen, I try with command "wpa_supplicant -i wlan0 -c
/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf", but I obtain an endless
attempt to connection: https://termbin.com/b3oj

---

---

From: PICCORO McKAY Lenz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2019 23:44:01 -0400

> 1) rc-service start dhcpcd: I reversed the word start and dhcpcd (maybe a
the document still has many typos, sorry...

> add "key_mgmt=WPA-PSK" and "psk="my_password"" because i have a pass
yeas that's cos my wifi are rogued! have proxy and reverse autentication
also mac filters

> attempt to connection: https://termbin.com/b3oj

same for me.. my partner said "works for me" of course he not have modern
laptops..

alpone seems works good for server and dockers but for wifi and desktop
need many work

this weekend i not work in alpine but next i'll break agains that problem
definitivelly in some way using some geento solutions..

i suspect that the respective involved software parts are not well
integrated..

---

From: PICCORO McKAY Lenz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2019 18:05:01 -0400

i have similar problem, in my case two : a dell inspiron R15 and also HP
compat c700 both laptops

i made this little steps:
https://mckayemu.github.io/alpineinstalls/informes/tunear-despues-de-instalar.html#configurar-wifi-consola

may help if you detailed your steps and hardware

my problem was send some time ago here:
http://lists.alpinelinux.org/alpine-user/0591.html, last in that thread
http://lists.alpinelinux.org/alpine-user/0614.html

see here also: http://lists.alpinelinux.org/alpine-user/0699.html

Lenz McKAY Gerardo (PICCORO)
http://qgqlochekone.blogspot.com