Subject: [alpine-user] Working OS suddenly got "exit due to timeout" after reboot.

From: Magicloud Magiclouds <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2018 13:46:29 +0800

Hi,
I am running an Alpinelinux in ramdisk + USB storage way. It worked
fine until I rebooted. I am sure I did not update the initfs. But now
I got "nlplug-findfs: exit due to timeout". Rebooting did not fix
this.

Where should I check?

-- 
竹密岂妨流水过
山高哪阻野云飞

And for G+, please use magiclouds#gmail.com.

---
Unsubscribe:  [email-masked]
Help:         [email-masked]
---

---

From: Natanael Copa <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2018 13:54:06 +0200

On Sat, 6 Oct 2018 13:46:29 +0800

> I got "nlplug-findfs: exit due to timeout". Rebooting did not fix

The message means that kernel did not find the USB stick within time.
Possible reasons is that USB host controller is too slow to initialize,
that driver to USB storage (or USB host controller) is missing in
initramfs or that the USB storage is broken.

You can try add a boot option `usbdelay=10` to give it more time. If
that does not help, then verify that drivers for USB controller is
included in initramfs image and that the USB storage is not defect.

-nc

---

---

From: Magicloud Magiclouds <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2018 20:48:07 +0800

Thanks for the info. I suspected USB. And tried usbdelay=5, did not
help. Then I noticed that, The USB stick was recognized as SDB, and
SDB1 got mounted to /media/sdb1 successfully, which is quite
confusing. It was usbdisk mounted on /media/usb.

-- 
竹密岂妨流水过
山高哪阻野云飞

---

---

From: Magicloud Magiclouds <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2018 20:58:28 +0800

Also, I tried running `nlplug-findfs -p /sbin/mdev` when it failed
into ramdisk shell, still timeout. And in the meantime, /media/sdb1 is
accessible.
On Sat, Oct 6, 2018 at 8:48 PM Magicloud Magiclouds

-- 
竹密岂妨流水过
山高哪阻野云飞

---