~alpine/users

2 2

Raspberry pi specific images

<CABNe=UvaN=ibrQtO8h0xt-O_ZFX=XusUarZ6HvnH_XZLxL5Q=Q@mail.gmail.com>
Hi everyone,

I was reading about alpine and Raspberry PI and saw there are raspberry pi
dedicated images, what does those images contains that is specific to
raspberry pi platform ?

Let say I just don’t want to use RPi 4B specific BT/Wifi/GPIO, can’t the
generic aarch64 image be used since the linux kernel do support rpi 4b very
decently on 6.x releases?

Thanks!
Konstantin Kulikov <k.kulikov2@gmail.com>
<CAD+eXGRQAKWXnCBMUKNO850PiFx-wRDH=fd8GXMmT5DJZvD9vw@mail.gmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<CABNe=UvaN=ibrQtO8h0xt-O_ZFX=XusUarZ6HvnH_XZLxL5Q=Q@mail.gmail.com> (view parent)
rpi uses 2 packages - raspberrypi-bootloader and linux-rpi. You can
try to replace linux-rpi with linux-edge, but in my limited experience
with other devices (rk3399, mt7986 and alwinner h616), unless you have
device-specific kernel config chances of it working are low.

On Sat, Jan 6, 2024 at 1:16 AM Gaël THEROND <gael.therond@bitswalk.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I was reading about alpine and Raspberry PI and saw there are raspberry pi dedicated images, what does those images contains that is specific to raspberry pi platform ?
>
> Let say I just don’t want to use RPi 4B specific BT/Wifi/GPIO, can’t the generic aarch64 image be used since the linux kernel do support rpi 4b very decently on 6.x releases?
>
> Thanks!
<CABNe=Uuo=yNZH97xReGtWwcmLn995woBT8hQ+vKhEbLz78=iEA@mail.gmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<CAD+eXGRQAKWXnCBMUKNO850PiFx-wRDH=fd8GXMmT5DJZvD9vw@mail.gmail.com> (view parent)
Ok ok, I’ll test to use the generic aarch64 image for fun and see what’s
really diverging from the rpi specialized release but I suspect that all
releases based on 6.x kernel and having uboot will work perfectly at least
for gpu/cpu/ram/storage and ethernet as I’m currently running plain vanilla
aarch64 centos stream 9 and it works just fine with grub.

I’ve also run uboot based distrib that were not modifying the bootloader
for rpi.

However, I think that GPIOs/Wan/Bt needs extra firmware hence why maybe?

Thanks a lot for your answer!

Le sam. 6 janv. 2024 à 11:23, Konstantin Kulikov <k.kulikov2@gmail.com> a
écrit :

> rpi uses 2 packages - raspberrypi-bootloader and linux-rpi. You can
> try to replace linux-rpi with linux-edge, but in my limited experience
> with other devices (rk3399, mt7986 and alwinner h616), unless you have
> device-specific kernel config chances of it working are low.
>
> On Sat, Jan 6, 2024 at 1:16 AM Gaël THEROND <gael.therond@bitswalk.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I was reading about alpine and Raspberry PI and saw there are raspberry
> pi dedicated images, what does those images contains that is specific to
> raspberry pi platform ?
> >
> > Let say I just don’t want to use RPi 4B specific BT/Wifi/GPIO, can’t the
> generic aarch64 image be used since the linux kernel do support rpi 4b very
> decently on 6.x releases?
> >
> > Thanks!

Reply to thread Export thread (mbox)