Subject: [alpine-user] GDAL support in Alpine Linux

From: Anjan Singh <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2019 12:35:23 +0530

Hi Guys,

I was looking for GDAL support in alpine. I could find some libraries under
"testing" repo but none in main repo of alpine.
https://pkgs.alpinelinux.org/packages?name=*gdal*&branch=edge

Any plans to have stable support of GDAL in Alpine?

Regards,
Anjan Singh

---

From: Andrew Bell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2019 06:50:38 -0400

The package in edge is recent and works well.

On Fri, Mar 29, 2019, 3:05 AM Anjan Singh <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> I was looking for GDAL support in alpine. I could find some libraries
> under "testing" repo but none in main repo of alpine.

---

From: Anjan Singh <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2019 17:23:15 +0530

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for replying.
I understand the "edge" is under development and not heavily tested. I
would be using GDAL libraries for production environment in near future.
Can you share by when can we expect to have stable version of GDAL
available in Alpine repo?

Regards,
Anjan Singh

---

From: Dave Johansen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2019 07:35:27 -0600

We've used the edge package before and it usually works, but then once
something changes in the testing repo (like a new version of a library),
then it will break. For reliable use, it needs to be integrated into the
main branches so it can be used without worry. In order to get that pulled
in, the tests need to be added to the build:
https://lists.alpinelinux.org/alpine-devel/6201.html