~alpine/users

5 3

Using aarch64 ISO with QEMU

<CAD=tUvyuXVW0C1s7xnDixY45N+NUG9+1rhjEcgrZ3bcPx1SfNg@mail.gmail.com>
Hello.

I have downloaded aarch64 ISO for virtual. I want to run it inside QEMU.
I have added edk2 as flash (UEFI). It boots to GRUB but then it fails
to run Linux virt. Has anybody qemu command line to run aarch64 alpine
ISO.
I don't want to extract kernel and initrd and run it this way. I want
to try it to boot as UEFI. I used -cdrom parameter for qemu but for
grub inside QEMU it appears as disk with 3 parts: gap1, msdos1 and
gap2 and grub cannot read them from grub command line. (ls (hd0,gpt1)/
shows unknown file system).

Thanks for any hint I could try.
PICCORO McKAY Lenz <mckaygerhard@gmail.com>
<CALci+FSua-SCM+C+9c7zqjvVV-q4QRv1Ze=mPiatUMxsmeF0vw@mail.gmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<CAD=tUvyuXVW0C1s7xnDixY45N+NUG9+1rhjEcgrZ3bcPx1SfNg@mail.gmail.com> (view parent)
El jue., 2 de ene. de 2020 a la(s) 09:50, Peter Hanzel (
hanzelpeter@gmail.com) escribió:

> gap2 and grub cannot read them from grub command line. (ls (hd0,gpt1)/
> shows unknown file system).

that message indicates the image cannot be boot from UEFI bios gpt partition

Paul Zillmann <p.zillmann@h6g.de>
<923bc5f0-6452-7c5f-bc09-4b91c3235802@h6g.de>
In-Reply-To
<CAD=tUvyuXVW0C1s7xnDixY45N+NUG9+1rhjEcgrZ3bcPx1SfNg@mail.gmail.com> (view parent)
Hello Peter,

do you use the GRUB inside the ISO or any other GRUB?
On the ISO you are looking to boot /efi/boot/bootaa64.efi - this should
be the GRUB on the ISO with the right configuration file.

I don't think you will be able to access an ISOHYBRID with gpt nor hd0.

- Paul

Am 02.01.20 um 14:50 schrieb Peter Hanzel:
> Hello.
>
> I have downloaded aarch64 ISO for virtual. I want to run it inside QEMU.
> I have added edk2 as flash (UEFI). It boots to GRUB but then it fails
> to run Linux virt. Has anybody qemu command line to run aarch64 alpine
> ISO.
> I don't want to extract kernel and initrd and run it this way. I want
> to try it to boot as UEFI. I used -cdrom parameter for qemu but for
> grub inside QEMU it appears as disk with 3 parts: gap1, msdos1 and
> gap2 and grub cannot read them from grub command line. (ls (hd0,gpt1)/
> shows unknown file system).
>
> Thanks for any hint I could try.
<CAD=tUvzrdw6aWB_9zhbPdACRg2cxQDL--uNXMFoC7samsF-Qvg@mail.gmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<923bc5f0-6452-7c5f-bc09-4b91c3235802@h6g.de> (view parent)
Hello.

I have used original aarch64 ISO from
http://dl-cdn.alpinelinux.org/alpine/v3.11/releases/aarch64/alpine-virt-3.11.2-aarch64.iso
I use QEMU 4.1.0 on windows. I use edk2-aarch64-code.fd as UEFI
bios.and arrch64 ISO as -cdrom.
It normally boots UEFI and then starts GRUB from above ISO. It
contains only "Linux virt" menuitem and after I press enter on it it
fails to start linux. There are some messages but it quickly returns
to GRUB menu, so I can't read it. Then I used grub command line to try
to set root and kernel manually, but it fails to read partitions from
ISO.

So that's the steps I have tried.

On Fri, Jan 3, 2020 at 9:52 AM Paul Zillmann <p.zillmann@h6g.de> wrote:

> Hello Peter,
>
> do you use the GRUB inside the ISO or any other GRUB?
> On the ISO you are looking to boot /efi/boot/bootaa64.efi - this should
> be the GRUB on the ISO with the right configuration file.
>
> I don't think you will be able to access an ISOHYBRID with gpt nor hd0.
>
> - Paul
>
> Am 02.01.20 um 14:50 schrieb Peter Hanzel:
> > Hello.
> >
> > I have downloaded aarch64 ISO for virtual. I want to run it inside QEMU.
> > I have added edk2 as flash (UEFI). It boots to GRUB but then it fails
> > to run Linux virt. Has anybody qemu command line to run aarch64 alpine
> > ISO.
> > I don't want to extract kernel and initrd and run it this way. I want
> > to try it to boot as UEFI. I used -cdrom parameter for qemu but for
> > grub inside QEMU it appears as disk with 3 parts: gap1, msdos1 and
> > gap2 and grub cannot read them from grub command line. (ls (hd0,gpt1)/
> > shows unknown file system).
> >
> > Thanks for any hint I could try.
<CAD=tUvxh_NrdqE5-so5UwHJjv5sgKYykqFeiHSZ3N0OWT_Kq5A@mail.gmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<CAD=tUvzrdw6aWB_9zhbPdACRg2cxQDL--uNXMFoC7samsF-Qvg@mail.gmail.com> (view parent)
Hello again.

I have made progress. It looks like efi_vars was missing. I added
empty 64MB img file as second pflash and then it booted to console
line.
My qemu cmd line looks like:
qemu-system-aarch64.exe -M virt -m 1G -cpu cortex-a57 -pflash
edk2-aarch64-code.fd -pflash efi_vars.img -cdrom
alpine-virt-3.11.2-aarch64.iso -vga none -device
virtio-gpu-pci,xres=800,yres=600 -net nic,model=virtio -net
user,hostfwd=tcp::2222-:22 -device usb-ehci,id=ehci -device
usb-tablet,bus=ehci.0
.
Then I can successfully login on serial console. Other problem is that
on graphic console (virtio-gpu-pci) the keyboard is not working
eventhough I have added usb-tablet. But that's another story. I was
not able to get keyboard and mouse with virtio-gpu-pci on any
distribution I have tried. Maybe some qemu command line parameter is
missing.

So now I can boot and ISO is working.

On Fri, Jan 3, 2020 at 12:25 PM Peter Hanzel <hanzelpeter@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I have used original aarch64 ISO from
> http://dl-cdn.alpinelinux.org/alpine/v3.11/releases/aarch64/alpine-virt-3.11.2-aarch64.iso
> I use QEMU 4.1.0 on windows. I use edk2-aarch64-code.fd as UEFI
> bios.and arrch64 ISO as -cdrom.
> It normally boots UEFI and then starts GRUB from above ISO. It
> contains only "Linux virt" menuitem and after I press enter on it it
> fails to start linux. There are some messages but it quickly returns
> to GRUB menu, so I can't read it. Then I used grub command line to try
> to set root and kernel manually, but it fails to read partitions from
> ISO.
>
> So that's the steps I have tried.
>

> On Fri, Jan 3, 2020 at 9:52 AM Paul Zillmann <p.zillmann@h6g.de> wrote:
> >
> > Hello Peter,
> >
> > do you use the GRUB inside the ISO or any other GRUB?
> > On the ISO you are looking to boot /efi/boot/bootaa64.efi - this should
> > be the GRUB on the ISO with the right configuration file.
> >
> > I don't think you will be able to access an ISOHYBRID with gpt nor hd0.
> >
> > - Paul
> >
> > Am 02.01.20 um 14:50 schrieb Peter Hanzel:
> > > Hello.
> > >
> > > I have downloaded aarch64 ISO for virtual. I want to run it inside QEMU.
> > > I have added edk2 as flash (UEFI). It boots to GRUB but then it fails
> > > to run Linux virt. Has anybody qemu command line to run aarch64 alpine
> > > ISO.
> > > I don't want to extract kernel and initrd and run it this way. I want
> > > to try it to boot as UEFI. I used -cdrom parameter for qemu but for
> > > grub inside QEMU it appears as disk with 3 parts: gap1, msdos1 and
> > > gap2 and grub cannot read them from grub command line. (ls (hd0,gpt1)/
> > > shows unknown file system).
> > >
> > > Thanks for any hint I could try.
PICCORO McKAY Lenz <mckaygerhard@gmail.com>
<CALci+FSjks8FNbRBnC=FGefpu376keSSRc5tQjnp3_50t3_hCQ@mail.gmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<CAD=tUvxh_NrdqE5-so5UwHJjv5sgKYykqFeiHSZ3N0OWT_Kq5A@mail.gmail.com> (view parent)
Use qemu on right OS like linux and said good bye to problems..

Lenz McKAY Gerardo (PICCORO)
http://qgqlochekone.blogspot.com

El vie., 3 de ene. de 2020 a la(s) 08:33, Peter Hanzel (

Reply to thread Export thread (mbox)