Subject: [alpine-user] missing pam_userdb.so?

From: James Osborne <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2018 17:53:25 +0000

Hello,

I'm trying to get vsftpd to run in an Alpine Linux Docker container with
virtual users. I have a vsftpd configuration working in a CentOS container,
but the same configuration under Alpine always gives me a "Login failed:
530 Login incorrect." from vsftpd. I think this is due to the fact the user
authentication is using PAM, specifically a Berkley DB file, which requires
pam_userdb.so. It seems this library is missing in Alpine, and I think that
is the cause of the authentication failure. (Mainly because the file exists
in CentOS and everything works just fine there.)

I've searched a bit, and it appears that pam_userdb might be deprecated,
but as other (current) distros have it available, I assume the code is
still in the source repo?

Checking the linux-pam module, no pam_userdb.so file is listed in the
content. Please could someone tell me how I might go about compiling it?

Sorry if this isn't the correct list, or if this is not how questions are
usually asked. I think this might very well be my first mailing list use
ever.

Thanks,

James