Subject: [alpine-user] Executing shell command produces nothing on Alpine linux

From: Prashanth <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2017 15:00:43 -0700

I am running shell commands inside my Perl script, but it does not work as
expected. I am in a container with Alpine Linux as my base image.

my Perl version v5.24.0.

perl -e 'my $TEST = `ls -al`; print $TEST'

This prints nothing, but works on another system where I have Perl v5.6.1
on Red Hat Linux.

---

From: Jean-Louis Fuchs <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2017 15:10:38 +0200

Hi

> This prints nothing, but works on another system where I have Perl v5.6.1

I had this problem. Some versions of Red Hat have some special kernel (I
didn't investigate what it is). This causes many other distros not to
run on Red Hat Kernel and vice versa. I solved that by running the
container in a vagrant box.

Best,
    Jean-Louis