Subject: [alpine-user] 2 issues with MATE

From: Matt Schwartz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2018 19:48:58 -0500

Hello list,

I am running Alpine version x86_64 edge. I have MATE successfully up
and running but I seem to have 2 peculiar issues. 1) Sound is working
perfectly but the sound applet has the sound effects section
completely greyed out and I cannot choose a sound theme. 2) When I try
to set the clock applet to 12 hour format, the clock displays as a
series of ????. Also, when I try to add a location to the clock
applet, the applet crashes. I am at a loss to troubleshoot this any
further and I would welcome some hints. I am a little newer to Linux.

Thank you in advance,
Matt

---
Unsubscribe:  [email-masked]
Help:         [email-masked]
---

---

From: Paul Bredbury <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2018 22:13:36 +0000

On Mon, 2018-12-24 at 19:48 -0500, Matt Schwartz wrote:
> completely greyed out and I cannot choose a sound theme. 

Installing sound-theme-freedesktop ( https://patchwork.alpinelinux.org/patch/4340/ ) allows a sound theme to be chosen, although you'll probably want more sounds from e.g. 
https://www.mate-look.org/browse/cat/316/ord/top/

> 2) When I try
> applet, the applet crashes.

I get the "???", but no crash.

Alpine is currently (surprisingly) using the 1.21 (i.e a development) branch of MATE, so we are exposed to dev code, until MATE 1.22 is released.

---

---

From: Natanael Copa <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2018 18:21:53 +0100

On Tue, 25 Dec 2018 22:13:36 +0000

> Alpine is currently (surprisingly) using the 1.21 (i.e a development) branch of MATE, so we are exposed to dev code, until MATE 1.22 is released.

That was sort of a mistake, due to we (wrongly) expected MATE 1.22 be
released in October. I have talked with Mate developers and 1.22 will
be released around February IIRC, so alpine 3.10 will have the 1.22
(and we will stick to stable releases, 1.22, 1,24 etc) after that.

Sorry.

As a side note we also ship xfce 4.13 with Alpine 3.9.

-nc

---

---

From: Matt Schwartz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2018 23:57:05 -0700

Thank you for your reply, Nataneal. It's certainly not a show stopper
and I can put up with it for a while.

---