Subject: [alpine-user] Need advice on Raspberry Pi install from SD card...

From: Stuart Hungerford <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2018 09:44:12 +1000

Hi,

I'm trying to bring Alpine Linux 3.8.0 up on a Raspberry Pi 3B using a
bootable SD card. The pi is not booting and the activity LEDs don't
flash. Here's the steps I've followed to setup the SD card on an
Antergos linux system:

1. Partition an SD card with parted:

$ sudo parted /dev/mmblkc0
mklabel msdos

mkpart primary fat32 2048s 100%

set 1 boot on

print

Model:  (file)
Disk /dev/mmcblk0: 4128MB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos
Disk Flags:

Number  Start   End     Size    Type     File system  Flags
 1      1049kB  4127MB  4126MB  primary  fat32        boot, lba

2. Format as fat32 with:

$ sudo mkfs.vfat /dev/mmblkc0

3. Expand the distro tar file:

$ sudo mkdir /mnt/SD

$ sudo mount -t vfat /dev/mmcblk0 /mnt/SD

$ sudo cd /mnt/SD

$ sudo wget http://dl-cdn.alpinelinux.org/alpine/v3.8/releases/armhf/alpine-rpi-3.8.0-armhf.tar.gz

$ sudo tar -xzvf alpine-rpi-3.8.0-armhf.tar.gz --no-same-owner

$ sudo rm alpine-rpi-3.8.0-armhf.tar.gz

4. Add a usercfg.txt file as per
https://wiki.alpinelinux.org/wiki/Classic_install_or_sys_mode_on_Raspberry_Pi

5. Unmount and load the SD card into Raspberry Pi and power on.

I've also tried a different SD card and tried both cards in two
different Raspberry Pi 3B's all with the same result.

I think there's some assumed step or setting that I'm missing--can
anyone advise?

Thanks,

Stu

---
Unsubscribe:  [email-masked]
Help:         [email-masked]
---