Subject: [alpine-user] ip_tables.ko versions on Raspberry

From: "Brent B. Powers" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2018 14:10:29 -0400

I've thrown Alpine onto a raspberry 2 to use as a DNS server, via a
sys-type installation. I've got my DNS going just fine, but I'm getting
hammered by ssh attempts. The obvious situation is sshguard, but that
requires (nowadays) a firewall.

I've apk'd iptables, but the service won't run, as there's no kernel
support. And here's the rub: I can't modprobe ip_tables.ko, as modprobe is
looking for it in 4.14.52-0-rpi2, and I've got it in 4.14.69-0-rpi2. I
don't know how that happened, but neither insmod or modprobe is letting me
past it (actually, insmod is giving me an error about Unknown Symbols).

To compound my difficulties, I'm more of a bsd person than linux, so,
please, be gentle. cheers, and thanks for the help.

---

From: Daniel Isaksen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2018 21:00:13 +0200

Are you using edge?

Kernel modules are built against a specific kernel version, and if you
upgrade either, you need to upgrade the other. I.e. if you upgraded
iptables, you need to upgrade the kernel as well, or install iptables built
against the kernel version you are running.

Also, after upgrading the kernel, you need to reboot the machine.

-----
Sincerely / Med vennlig hilsen,
Daniel Isaksen <[email-masked]> (https://duniel.no)

---

From: "Brent B. Powers" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2018 15:13:46 -0400

It is more than possible that I am using edge (although I don't recall
making that decision). Is there a way of moving from edge to 3.8?

On Tue, Sep 18, 2018 at 3:00 PM Daniel Isaksen <[email-masked]> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 18, 2018 at 8:10 PM, Brent B. Powers <[email-masked]
> > wrote:
>

---

From: Daniel Isaksen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2018 21:18:10 +0200

Looks like linux-rpi2 is at version 4.14.69-r0 in both 3.8 and edge -
perhaps try making sure you're using 3.8 in /etc/apk/repositories and
running a full upgrade, then rebooting?

-----

On Tue, Sep 18, 2018 at 9:13 PM, Brent B. Powers <[email-masked]>
wrote:

>> On Tue, Sep 18, 2018 at 8:10 PM, Brent B. Powers <
>> [email-masked]> wrote:
>>

---

From: "Brent B. Powers" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2018 16:49:46 -0400

With your help, I got it sorted out. As mentioned, I had done the sys
install, but never added the overlay mount to  /media/mmcblk0p1/boot to my
fstab. That fixed, all else fell into place.

Thank you

On Tue, Sep 18, 2018 at 3:18 PM Daniel Isaksen <[email-masked]> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 18, 2018 at 9:13 PM, Brent B. Powers <[email-masked]
> > wrote:
>