Subject: Setup help

From: Sachin Saraf <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2020 19:29:16 +0530

Hi,

I have working Arch LUKS on LVM & Void LVM on LUKS setups. I am now
trying to install Alpine LVM on LUKS on a partition on the same
laptop. From Void it looks like this:

nvme0n1                                       259:0    0 476.9G  0 disk
├─nvme0n1p1                                   259:1    0   650M  0
part  /boot/efi
├─nvme0n1p2                                   259:2    0   128M  0 part
├─nvme0n1p3                                   259:3    0   512M  0 part
├─nvme0n1p4                                   259:4    0 403.5G  0 part
│ ├─arch-crypttmp                             254:2    0     1G  0 lvm
│ ├─arch-cryptdata                            254:3    0   310G  0 lvm
│ │ └─cryptdata                               254:6    0   310G  0 crypt /data
│ ├─arch-cryptswap                            254:4    0     8G  0 lvm
│ └─arch-cryptrootxfce                        254:5    0    50G  0 lvm
├─nvme0n1p5                                   259:5    0    49G  0 part
│ └─luks-e1debd09-6e00-442f-a5b8-90459a47de33 254:0    0    49G  0 crypt
│   └─void-cryptroot                          254:1    0    49G  0 lvm   /
├─nvme0n1p6                                   259:6    0     1G  0 part  /boot
├─nvme0n1p7                                   259:7    0   470M  0 part
├─nvme0n1p8                                   259:8    0  10.7G  0 part
├─nvme0n1p9                                   259:9    0   1.1G  0 part
├─nvme0n1p10                                  259:10   0   9.8G  0 part
│ └─alpine                                    254:7    0   9.7G  0 crypt
│   └─alpine-root                             254:8    0   9.7G  0 lvm
└─nvme0n1p11                                  259:11   0   256M  0 part

/dev/nvme0n1p10 is for Alpine root & /dev/nvme0n1p11 is the
unencrypted /boot. /dev/nvme0n1p1 is the /boot/efi.

VGs:
  VG     #PV #LV #SN Attr   VSize   VFree
  alpine   1   1   0 wz--n-   9.73g     0
  arch     1   4   0 wz--n- 403.46g 34.46g
  void     1   1   0 wz--n-  48.98g     0

LVMs:
  LV            VG     Attr       LSize   Pool Origin Data%  Meta%
Move Log Cpy%Sync Convert
  root          alpine -wi-ao----   9.73g
  cryptdata     arch   -wi-ao---- 310.00g
  cryptrootxfce arch   -wi-a-----  50.00g
  cryptswap     arch   -wi-a-----   8.00g
  crypttmp      arch   -wi-a-----   1.00g
  cryptroot     void   -wi-ao----  48.98g

/etc/crypttab has:

lvmcrypt UUID=fa35c636-be9b-452e-be9d-d6ff446ce206 none luks
 - this is the UUID of /dev/nvme0n1p10

/etc/fstab has:

/dev/alpine/root        /       ext4    rw,relatime 0 1
UUID=ab32c057-00ef-42db-869f-87fdbaffea3e       /boot   ext4    rw,relatime 0 2
UUID=6651-875A  /boot/efi       vfat
rw,relatime,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=437,iocharset=utf8,shortname=mixed,errors=remount-ro
0 2

/etc/mkinitfs/mkinitfs.conf:
features="ata base ide scsi usb virtio ext4 lvm cryptsetup keymap kms"

/etc/default/grub:
GRUB_ENABLE_CRYPTODISK=y
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="cryptroot=UUID=fa35c636-be9b-452e-be9d-d6ff446ce206
cryptdm=lvmcrypt"

But I don't get the decryption prompt while booting up, and instead
land into the initramfs emergency shell with /dev/mapper/alpine-root
mount failure error message.

What could be the issue here? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Sachin

---

From: Sachin Saraf <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2020 06:43:38 +0530

Issue resolved after adding nvme to mkinitfs.

Regards,
Sachin