Subject: Any plans to add OpenJDK11 apk ?

From: Jayanth Acharya <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2020 21:57:43 +0530

New to Alpine Linux (coming from Ubuntu Server - Minimal, hand-tuned to low
foot print), but already beginning to love the super light weight, and how
fast everything gets done with Alpine. Unlike many others using Alpine, I
am trying to use it not for a Docker base image, but as an (oldschool) VM
appliance base image (with minimal footprint).

Wanted to check if there is any plan to add OpenJD11 apk to Alpine Linux ?
I have an application for which I am considering using OpenJDK11 instead of
OpenJDK8.

Is there a published roadmap or a way to request such apk ?

Jay

---

From: Ariadne Conill <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2020 10:46:38 -0600

Hello,

On 2020-08-04 10:27, Jayanth Acharya wrote:
> 
> New to Alpine Linux (coming from Ubuntu Server - Minimal, hand-tuned to 
> low foot print), but already beginning to love the super light weight, 
> and how fast everything gets done with Alpine. Unlike many others using 
> Alpine, I am trying to use it not for a Docker base image, but as an 
> (oldschool) VM appliance base image (with minimal footprint).
> 
> Wanted to check if there is any plan to add OpenJD11 apk to Alpine Linux 
> ? I have an application for which I am considering using OpenJDK11 
> instead of OpenJDK8.
> 

We already have them, all the way up to OpenJDK 14:

petrie:~/aports/main/musl$ apk list -v *openjdk*-jdk*
openjdk10-jdk-10.0.2_p13-r1 aarch64 {openjdk10} 
(GPL-2.0-with-classpath-exception)
   Oracle OpenJDK 10 (JDK)

openjdk13-jdk-13.0.4_p8-r0 aarch64 {openjdk13} 
(GPL-2.0-with-classpath-exception)
   Oracle OpenJDK 13 (JDK)

openjdk11-jdk-11.0.8_p10-r0 aarch64 {openjdk11} 
(GPL-2.0-with-classpath-exception)
   Oracle OpenJDK 11 (JDK)

openjdk12-jdk-12.0.2_p10-r1 aarch64 {openjdk12} 
(GPL-2.0-with-classpath-exception)
   Oracle OpenJDK 12 (JDK)

openjdk14-jdk-14.0.2_p12-r0 aarch64 {openjdk14} 
(GPL-2.0-with-classpath-exception)
   Oracle OpenJDK 14 (JDK)

openjdk9-jdk-9.0.4_p12-r2 aarch64 {openjdk9} 
(GPL-2.0-with-classpath-exception)
   Oracle OpenJDK 9 (JDK)

Ariadne

---

From: Paul Zillmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Aug 2020 13:35:06 +0200

Hello Jayanth,

Am 04.08.20 um 18:27 schrieb Jayanth Acharya:
>
> New to Alpine Linux (coming from Ubuntu Server - Minimal, hand-tuned 
> to low foot print), but already beginning to love the super light 
> weight, and how fast everything gets done with Alpine. Unlike many 
> others using Alpine, I am trying to use it not for a Docker base 
> image, but as an (oldschool) VM appliance base image (with minimal 
> footprint).
>
> Wanted to check if there is any plan to add OpenJD11 apk to Alpine 
> Linux ? I have an application for which I am considering using 
> OpenJDK11 instead of OpenJDK8.
>

You can find OpenJDK11 in the package repository.
https://pkgs.alpinelinux.org/package/edge/community/x86_64/openjdk11
https://pkgs.alpinelinux.org/package/v3.12/community/x86_64/openjdk11

For that one you have to enable the community repository in 
/etc/apk/repositories - just uncomment the specific line and you are 
good to go.

Also you can search for any package on:
https://pkgs.alpinelinux.org/packages

> Is there a published roadmap or a way to request such apk ?

- Paul