Subject: Issues setting up Xfce on Virtualbox 6, for alpine 3.12

From: Banibrata Dutta <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2020 22:23:50 +0530

Hi,

Wanted to setup Alpine 3.12 on an Oracle Virtualbox 6 VM, with XFCE (or
LXDE if I could find clean instructions), with the aim to test-drive the
setup before attempting to do same on a 8yr old dual-core Pentium + 2GB RAM
based laptop to make it more useful.

I've been following the instructions to setup XFCE here:
https://wiki.alpinelinux.org/wiki/Xfce_Setup and get to the point of
installing video driver, but unable to find the video drivers for
Virtualbox i.e. 'xf86-video-vboxvideo', since it is not found in main (not
expected anyway) or community (expected to find it here). Error shown:
https://imgur.com/jDbOqKA

Even on the real laptop where I plan to install this, how should I figure
out what is the ideal video driver ?

Also, I am trying to virtualbox guest additions following instructions
here: https://wiki.alpinelinux.org/wiki/VirtualBox_guest_additions but then
don't find the packages and throws the errors shown here:
https://imgur.com/5k5oveJ

Any ideas if there's a way to progress on both of those points ? Is it that
community no longer produces those packages and they are indeed missing ?

cheers,
B

---

From: PICCORO McKAY Lenz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2020 09:22:01 -0400

1) in any any linux if there's no video.. we can use vesa.. or fbdev..
that's basic
2) alpine just packaged the software.. does not modify as ncopa comment me
in gitlab.alipnelinux org so use xfce4 instructions also
3) that wiki page are just hints and tips to finish setup, due the (2) you
must setup as any basic linux, so check xfce4 documentation
4) on your laptop the ideal video MODULE is that trademark indicates.. most
used are ADM/ATI, Nvidia or intel in nomadays, use "lspci -v" command  and
check for video or similar
5) for virtualbox seems you try to install a community package.. update
fresh repos to get and check fresh list of available package.. use correct
repos
6) i guess we need basic to setup property alpine or any linux, is faster
and powered but also need same from us, for (5), (4), (3), you must read
and digest as pre-requisite:
https://wiki.alpinelinux.org/wiki/Alpine_newbie_apk_packages  .. so we must
always read a lot before involved in anything

El mié., 26 de ago. de 2020 a la(s) 12:54, Banibrata Dutta (
[email-masked]) escribió:

> here: https://wiki.alpinelinux.org/wiki/VirtualBox_guest_additions but
> then don't find the packages and throws the errors shown here:
> Any ideas if there's a way to progress on both of those points ? Is it
> that community no longer produces those packages and they are indeed
> missing ?
>
> cheers,
> B
>