Subject: why fdisk does not wync and we must need sfdisk or ultil linux at install

From: PICCORO McKAY Lenz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2020 15:21:00 -0400

when i try to install .. try tomake it offline..

manually use fdisk to setup partitions and then try to use mkfs.vfat to
format secnd partition but /dev/sda2 doe snot exist just after i
partiotioned perfectly..

but if setup the network and go online.. install proper packages and have
sfdisk.. after command "write" i got it .. and i can now format with
mkfs...

why?

Lenz McKAY Gerardo (PICCORO)
http://qgqlochekone.blogspot.com

---

From: Wolf <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2020 21:01:13 +0100

Hi,

> format secnd partition but /dev/sda2 doe snot exist just after i

Could you post what and how exactly you did this? Ideally including both
executed commands and their outputs.

Bundled fdisk works for me good enough. Seems weird it would completely
"forget" to make a partition.

W.

-- 
There are only two hard things in Computer Science:
cache invalidation, naming things and off-by-one errors.

---

From: PICCORO McKAY Lenz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2020 16:15:33 -0400

> executed commands and their outputs.
well very dificult copy and paste all from the not accesible screen maybe a
screen shot but still burry..

i write all i can to write i same order and only most relevant output:

1) put media dn boot
2) logi as root, of course no password
* setup-keymap es es
* setup-timezone -z UTC
* fdisk /dev/sda
* input secuence: `o, n, p, 2048, +100G, n, p, enter, +4G, t, 2, 82, w`
* mkfs.ext3 -b 2048 /dev/sda1

here oputo are that command not found .. puff after use the complete image
or setup networking this are:

* setup-networking
* setup-apkrepos -1
* apk add e2fstools
* mkfs.ext3 -b 2048 /dev/sda1

no here said "no such file or directory" and try to made "ls /dev/sd*" and
only shows "sda" and no sda1 or sda2!

---

From: PICCORO McKAY Lenz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2020 21:38:50 -0400

seems after run setup-alpine -q i cn be used the partitions.

quite strange in the virtual machine works and in the laptop.. i was
testing in a vostro dual core

El mié., 22 de ene. de 2020 a la(s) 16:15, PICCORO McKAY Lenz (
[email-masked]) escribió:

> well very dificult copy and paste all from the not accesible screen maybe
> a screen shot but still burry..
>

---

From: PICCORO McKAY Lenz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2020 14:34:44 -0400

the problem persist.. i have a empty disk.. create 3 partitions manually
when i try to format there's no able to use them:

mail list dont permit to attach the picture of results, as can see , apk
add e2fsprogs and then use mkfs.ext3 /dev/sda1 said "does not exists"

El mié., 22 de ene. de 2020 a la(s) 21:38, PICCORO McKAY Lenz (
[email-masked]) escribió:

>> here oputo are that command not found .. puff after use the complete
>> image or setup networking this are:
>>
>> * setup-networking
>> * setup-apkrepos -1
>> * apk add e2fstools
>> no here said "no such file or directory" and try to made "ls /dev/sd*"
>> and only shows "sda" and no sda1 or sda2!
>>
>>
>>>

---

From: Adam Růžička <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2020 09:46:17 +0100

If you run partition the disk with fdisk and then open it with fdisk again,
does it see the partitions there? If so, what happens when you run
partprobe after the partitioning?

-- Adam

On Thu, Jan 23, 2020 at 7:35 PM PICCORO McKAY Lenz <[email-masked]>
wrote:

>>> well very dificult copy and paste all from the not accesible screen
>>> maybe a screen shot but still burry..
>>>

---

From: PICCORO McKAY Lenz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2020 06:27:02 -0400

fdisk always can see the changes made! but if i try to use "mkfs.ext3
/dev/sda1" there's no suck file

also "ls /dev/sda*" shows only "/dev/sda"

El vie., 24 de ene. de 2020 a la(s) 04:46, Adam Růžička ([email-masked])
escribió:

> If you run partition the disk with fdisk and then open it with fdisk
> again, does it see the partitions there? If so, what happens when you run

---

From: Adam Růžička <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2020 13:25:05 +0100

And if you run partprobe after partitioning the disk?

-- Adam

On Fri, Jan 24, 2020, 11:27 PICCORO McKAY Lenz <[email-masked]>
wrote:

>> On Thu, Jan 23, 2020 at 7:35 PM PICCORO McKAY Lenz <
>> [email-masked]> wrote:
>>

---

From: Natanael Copa <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2020 13:29:22 +0100

On Fri, 24 Jan 2020 06:27:02 -0400

> also "ls /dev/sda*" shows only "/dev/sda"

try `mdev -s`

-nc

> 
> El vie., 24 de ene. de 2020 a la(s) 04:46, Adam R**i*ka ([email-masked])
> escribió:
>

---

From: PICCORO McKAY Lenz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2020 08:48:23 -0400

OK  Natanael and Adam

i make some tests adn see that:

1) both command works, thanks BUT:
2) if at media boot, i run "setup-keymap" and later any other command..
then "fdisk etc", partitions does not show and must run any of the command
provided by us
3) if i do not run any "setup" commands, and only run "fdisk" them
partitions are autodetected always normaly

seems there's somthing here, maybe a little detail but causes me many
problems try to making the documents to colaborate with alpine
documentation Natanael!

i dont know if there's a bug or not! tell me you that are the expert and
Thanks for the help.. both commands "mdev-s" and "modprobe" works both are
included in alpine busybox at media boot

last question: whitch command are the proper to put in a documentation
beetween "mdev -s" and "modprobe" ?

PD: remenber to answer to the mail list not to me! those mail clients ....

---

From: PICCORO McKAY Lenz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2020 09:05:58 -0400

> beetween "mdev -s" and "modprobe" ?
now tested better: partprobe does not work and does nothing!  bug? mdev -s
perfectly worked!

so i think it's a bug? partitions list are not updated if i run any of the
"setup-*" commands

---

From: Natanael Copa <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2020 16:12:33 +0100

On Fri, 24 Jan 2020 09:05:58 -0400

> so i think it's a bug? partitions list are not updated if i run any of the

I think partition list is updated (check /proc/partitions), but for
some reason either kernel does not send new uevent for new block device
(sda1) or mdev is not picking it up.

we actually manually call `mdev -s` in setup-disk script too when
modifying partition table.

https://gitlab.alpinelinux.org/alpine/alpine-conf/blob/master/setup-disk.in#L683
https://gitlab.alpinelinux.org/alpine/alpine-conf/blob/master/setup-disk.in#L701

-nc

---

From: macmpi <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2020 16:32:42 +0100

> (sda1) or mdev is not picking it up.

I faced similar kind of problems with CD insertion recently as reported 
in Gitlab issue[1]. Checked it seems Alpine specific (tested with kernel 
4.19, 5.4), as 4.19 kernel shipped with Raspbian does not have the 
problem.
Kernel config, or could be busybox uevent?

[1]https://gitlab.alpinelinux.org/alpine/aports/issues/11139

---

From: PICCORO McKAY Lenz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2020 13:26:37 -0400

> 4.19, 5.4), as 4.19 kernel shipped with Raspbian does not have the
so then it's a confirmed bug, in alpine 3.8.5 seems problem are present so
also!

BUT TAKE NOTE:

i have /dev/sda1 only one partition..
make fdisk /dev/sda and create new partition.. sda2 and write it
later revisited "ls /dev/sda*" and only are "/dev/sda2 adn sda1 are gone!
INTERESTING X-D

i'll added that info to the gitlab bug in alpine project

> Kernel config, or could be busybox uevent?

seems kernel developers have systemd infiltrating guys or there's something
in all setup-* commands see this:

El vie., 24 de ene. de 2020 a la(s) 11:12, Natanael Copa

> PICCORO McKAY Lenz

TEST 1, no setup commands made:

checked at root login : cat /proc/partitioons  | grep sda shows sda1 and
sda2

then changed to only one partition the size and created second more

checked again and partitions on proc are updated perfectly,

BUT checked to ls -l /dev/sda*  does not show nothing!

so seems are a bug? confirmed BY:
https://gitlab.alpinelinux.org/alpine/aports/issues/11139

i have much more "interesting things" in the alpine setup process..