Subject: Alpine Linux on UFS Drive

From: Evan J <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2024 09:37:39 -0400

Hi Everyone,

I hope all is well!

I've spun up a VM of Alpine Linux and so far I'm loving it! It's a breath
of fresh air to run a slim flavour of Linux!

That being said, I'm trying to install it onto a Minisforum S100 to act as
a small server. However, I'm running into issues with the UFS storage on
this device. The install will work fine, however, the server will fail to
mount the root partition and fail into the emergency shell. I have
exhausted my search with my Google-fu.

Does anyone have any tips on how I can get this to work with a UFS boot
device?

-- 
Thanks, Evan

---

From: Natanael Copa <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2024 14:16:02 +0200

On Thu, 5 Sep 2024 09:37:39 -0400

> Does anyone have any tips on how I can get this to work with a UFS boot

You probably need to make sure that the drivers for UFS are included in the initramfs.

Look for the drivers in /etc/mkinitfs/features.d/
If there are no mkinitfs "feature" with those (I doubt there are), create a /etc/mkinitfs/features.d/ufs.modules. My guess is that is should look something like this:

kernel/drivers/ufs
kernel/fs/ufs

Then add "ufs" to features in /etc/mkinitfs/mkinitfs.conf

and re-run the trigger.

Or even better, create an issue
on https://gitlab.alpinelinux.org/alpine/mkinitfs and I'll add the
"ufs" feature when I get time.

Thanks!

-nc