Subject: Calamares installer

From: Liam Proven <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2025 21:08:36 +0100

I have finally managed to make email contact with Ben Young, "computermouth":
https://github.com/computermouth

He's the maintainer of Crunchbang++ which is one of 2 continuations of
the Crunchbang Linux distro.

https://crunchbangplusplus.org/

This is a lighter-weight Debian-based remix. He just put out a version
based on Debian 13 and was dismayed that he could no longer offer a
32-bit edition, as Debian "Trixie" no longer offers an x86-32 flavour.

He is interested in doing a "Crunchpine" based on Alpine, which he
said he uses and loves. However, 6 months or a year ago, he told me on
Reddit that he had problems with getting Calamares working. I offered
to put him in touch with Adriaan de Groot (developer of Calamares) who
I met at a conference.

Now CB++ 13 is out Young has had time to start looking at Alpine again
but he tells me he found the Calamares package has been dropped.

Is that something which could be considered for reversion?

CB++ offers a very light environment with Openbox and tint2 and a lot
of customisation scripts. It's my single favourite non-desktop Linux
GUI. I think a version based on Alpine would be wonderful to have and
might attract many more users to Alpine.

-- 
Liam Proven ~ Profile: https://about.me/liamproven ~ LinkedIn/X/FB: lproven
Email: [email-masked] ~ Google: [email-masked]
IoM: (+44) 7624 227612: UK: (+44) 7939-087884
Czech [+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal]: (+420) 702-829-053

---

From: "Achill Gilgenast" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2025 09:16:27 +0200

> Is that something which could be considered for reversion?

Looking at:

commit 54b8d7aa76e3bc2668b442b57f43b4ea81ccb5b1
Author: Oliver Smith <[email-masked]>
Date:   Wed Feb 7 09:01:38 2024 +0000

    community/calamares: remove
    
    postmarketOS doesn't have any use for it anymore, and there are no
    Alpine calamares installer images.
    
    Related: https://postmarketos.org/blog/2023/12/18/v23.12-release/#notable-changes
             "Installation images have been removed."

Reviving it shouldn't be a problem per se.

It would be nice if someone could test if
https://gitlab.alpinelinux.org/alpine/aports/-/merge_requests/89247
works.