Subject: [alpine-user] Why no official AWS AMI?

From: Bob Bagwill <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2019 11:12:44 -0400

Is there any particular reason why there is no official Alpine Linux  AWS
AMI?

If not, would docker.com please make (and maintain) one?  :-)

---

From: Tuan Hoang <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2019 19:01:17 +0200

I'm interested in making that happen.

Manually making Alpine image for cloud providers would work, check out
Alpine wiki pages. I believe cloud providers would prefer automated
methods with tools like cloud-init or ignition, none of which works on
Alpine at the moment to my knowledge.

Tuan

On 5/16/19 4:12 PM, Bob Bagwill wrote:
> Is there any particular reason why there is no official Alpine Linux 
> AWS AMI? 
> 
> If not, would docker.com <http://docker.com> please make (and maintain)
> one?  :-)
> 

---
Unsubscribe:  [email-masked]
Help:         [email-masked]
---

---

From: PICCORO McKAY Lenz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2019 13:43:23 -0400

cloud providers always prefer automated methods like cloud-init, AWS images
use it a lot

confirmed that none of which works on  Alpine

That's the situation.. so we need to work close to those toos to make it
happen

Lenz McKAY Gerardo (PICCORO)
http://qgqlochekone.blogspot.com

---

From: Mike Crute <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 6 Jul 2019 00:17:51 +0000

> Is there any particular reason why there is no official Alpine Linux

There is a community maintained AMI available, which the maintainers
consider to be stable. The build scripts and information for discovering
the AMI IDs are on GitHub: https://github.com/mcrute/alpine-ec2-ami

We're working through some backlog items to handle automated builds and
notifications of new releases but the AMI itself is stable. Give it a
try and feel free to open GitHub issues on the tooling repo if you run
into any problems with it. There are currently x86_64 builds for 3.9.x,
3.10.x, and edge. ARM64 builds are coming soon.

Our long-term plan is to stabilize and automate the AMI building and
then work with the Alpine Linux community to hopefully make this an
official release.

Many cloud providers use cloud-init to bootstrap their instances.
cloud-init is a tool written Python that contains many different
distribution-specific backends. Unfortunately it's rather complicated to
add a backend for Alpine and none of the AMI maintainers currently have
the time to do it; also, we want to keep the image as slim as possible
so adding a bunch of Python dependencies is unappealing. We wrote our
own very lightweight version of cloud-init called tiny-ec2-bootstrap
(https://github.com/mcrute/tiny-ec2-bootstrap) which does all of the
basics and supports some minimal customization. If anyone has the time
to make cloud-init work for Alpine we'd be open to taking a patch to
integrate it. In the meantime tiny-ec2-bootstrap should work.

Pull requests and issues welcomed!

~mike

---