~alpine/users

4 2

Persistent package install in raspberry pi

Philip Couling <couling@gmail.com>
<CANWftzLn81z_2SJec6EPD716w+OHf=6wKBB9h9OY5JEujDbvLg@mail.gmail.com>
Following the rasbberry pi install instructions (1) I have a working
system with a persistent apk cache and am able to save /etc/ with lbm
commit.

What I'm stuck on is that I want to install some other packages
persistently.  At the moment all that happens is that the packages get
saved in the apk cache and the record of the fact I wanted them installed
is saved.

In order to get the back I have to type "apk add" and they all re-install.

I need to have this work so that I can add my own choice of packages to the
system that are there while it boots.  Not least because some have daemons
that should be kicked off on boot.

Is this possible with diskless installs?  Is there something else I'm
supposed to do to ensure installed packages are persisted?

   1. https://wiki.alpinelinux.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi
Konstantin Kulikov <k.kulikov2@gmail.com>
<CAD+eXGQ1iK9wtxWA=zdETfbXnc2nd75E-e2rN23kVfJGZtQQtA@mail.gmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<CANWftzLn81z_2SJec6EPD716w+OHf=6wKBB9h9OY5JEujDbvLg@mail.gmail.com> (view parent)
Run "lbu commit" after package installation. This saves
/etc/apk/world, contents of which get installed on boot.

On Mon, Feb 6, 2023 at 3:22 AM Philip Couling <couling@gmail.com> wrote:

> Following the rasbberry pi install instructions (1) I have a working system with a persistent apk cache and am able to save /etc/ with lbm commit.
>
> What I'm stuck on is that I want to install some other packages persistently.  At the moment all that happens is that the packages get saved in the apk cache and the record of the fact I wanted them installed is saved.
>
> In order to get the back I have to type "apk add" and they all re-install.
>
> I need to have this work so that I can add my own choice of packages to the system that are there while it boots.  Not least because some have daemons that should be kicked off on boot.
>
> Is this possible with diskless installs?  Is there something else I'm supposed to do to ensure installed packages are persisted?
>
> https://wiki.alpinelinux.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi
Philip Couling <couling@gmail.com>
<CANWftzL-Gy9im=iWQf5qzKfG8L7NTkRp5hG4AFVFP19HLFTB_g@mail.gmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<CAD+eXGQ1iK9wtxWA=zdETfbXnc2nd75E-e2rN23kVfJGZtQQtA@mail.gmail.com> (view parent)
Hmmm maybe that's supposed to be what happens, but it's not happening.
I've already found /etc/apk/world and seen that it's populated.  I think
that's how a simple "apk add" (no third argument) immediately knows which
packages to install, which were installed previously.

I don't suppose you know where to find the trigger for these packages being
installed on boot? I guess I'll need to investigate further on what I now
suspect could be a bug (or something misconfigured on my system).

On Mon, 6 Feb 2023 at 07:17, Konstantin Kulikov <k.kulikov2@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Run "lbu commit" after package installation. This saves
> /etc/apk/world, contents of which get installed on boot.
>
> On Mon, Feb 6, 2023 at 3:22 AM Philip Couling <couling@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Following the rasbberry pi install instructions (1) I have a working
> system with a persistent apk cache and am able to save /etc/ with lbm
> commit.
> >
> > What I'm stuck on is that I want to install some other packages
> persistently.  At the moment all that happens is that the packages get
> saved in the apk cache and the record of the fact I wanted them installed
> is saved.
> >
> > In order to get the back I have to type "apk add" and they all
> re-install.
> >
> > I need to have this work so that I can add my own choice of packages to
> the system that are there while it boots.  Not least because some have
> daemons that should be kicked off on boot.
> >
> > Is this possible with diskless installs?  Is there something else I'm
> supposed to do to ensure installed packages are persisted?
> >
> > https://wiki.alpinelinux.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi

Konstantin Kulikov <k.kulikov2@gmail.com>
<CAD+eXGTU1As5ifUgzYrNzY6+_7rxNJDoPomkR6+98yuMamwwHw@mail.gmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<CANWftzL-Gy9im=iWQf5qzKfG8L7NTkRp5hG4AFVFP19HLFTB_g@mail.gmail.com> (view parent)
Installation happens in initramfs-init[0]. Ctrl+f the file for "apk add" lines.

[0]: https://git.alpinelinux.org/mkinitfs/tree/initramfs-init.in#n742

On Mon, Feb 6, 2023 at 2:47 PM Philip Couling <couling@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hmmm maybe that's supposed to be what happens, but it's not happening.  I've already found /etc/apk/world and seen that it's populated.  I think that's how a simple "apk add" (no third argument) immediately knows which packages to install, which were installed previously.
>
> I don't suppose you know where to find the trigger for these packages being installed on boot? I guess I'll need to investigate further on what I now suspect could be a bug (or something misconfigured on my system).
>
> On Mon, 6 Feb 2023 at 07:17, Konstantin Kulikov <k.kulikov2@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Run "lbu commit" after package installation. This saves
>> /etc/apk/world, contents of which get installed on boot.
>>
>> On Mon, Feb 6, 2023 at 3:22 AM Philip Couling <couling@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > Following the rasbberry pi install instructions (1) I have a working system with a persistent apk cache and am able to save /etc/ with lbm commit.
>> >
>> > What I'm stuck on is that I want to install some other packages persistently.  At the moment all that happens is that the packages get saved in the apk cache and the record of the fact I wanted them installed is saved.
>> >
>> > In order to get the back I have to type "apk add" and they all re-install.
>> >
>> > I need to have this work so that I can add my own choice of packages to the system that are there while it boots.  Not least because some have daemons that should be kicked off on boot.
>> >
>> > Is this possible with diskless installs?  Is there something else I'm supposed to do to ensure installed packages are persisted?
>> >
>> > https://wiki.alpinelinux.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi
Philip Couling <couling@gmail.com>
<CANWftzJ+Paqext46Ck5qHvSFaU3_iRyvPNj37bM2MQZ_MZLg8Q@mail.gmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<CAD+eXGTU1As5ifUgzYrNzY6+_7rxNJDoPomkR6+98yuMamwwHw@mail.gmail.com> (view parent)
Oh, it's in initramfs.  Okay that's a bit harder to accidentally disable.

I've swapped armhf for aarch64 (both 3.17.1 raspberry pi) and the problem
has gone away.

So I guess this now places the problem as one of three things:
 - corrupted install or download
 - fat fingered mistake somehow disabling it
 - bonafide bug in armhf 3.17.1 for raspberry pi

I'll assume one of the first two. If I get time I will go back and try to
reproduce it from a fresh download.

On Mon, 6 Feb 2023 at 23:11, Konstantin Kulikov <k.kulikov2@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Installation happens in initramfs-init[0]. Ctrl+f the file for "apk add"
> lines.
>
> [0]: https://git.alpinelinux.org/mkinitfs/tree/initramfs-init.in#n742
>
> On Mon, Feb 6, 2023 at 2:47 PM Philip Couling <couling@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hmmm maybe that's supposed to be what happens, but it's not happening.
> I've already found /etc/apk/world and seen that it's populated.  I think
> that's how a simple "apk add" (no third argument) immediately knows which
> packages to install, which were installed previously.
> >
> > I don't suppose you know where to find the trigger for these packages
> being installed on boot? I guess I'll need to investigate further on what I
> now suspect could be a bug (or something misconfigured on my system).
> >
> > On Mon, 6 Feb 2023 at 07:17, Konstantin Kulikov <k.kulikov2@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> Run "lbu commit" after package installation. This saves
> >> /etc/apk/world, contents of which get installed on boot.

> system with a persistent apk cache and am able to save /etc/ with lbm
> commit.

> persistently.  At the moment all that happens is that the packages get
> saved in the apk cache and the record of the fact I wanted them installed
> is saved.

> re-install.

> to the system that are there while it boots.  Not least because some have
> daemons that should be kicked off on boot.

> supposed to do to ensure installed packages are persisted?

Reply to thread Export thread (mbox)