~alpine/users

2 2

vultr alpine linux-lts-dev cannot boot..

<CAOyb_EzU_JJjMw_0fnV+Ynux-Aam08g+cNNHNdeZyPycLi8hiw@mail.gmail.com>
 https://imgur.com/a/Z7l10PP

committed
ac499d2
5 hours ago

committing changes in /etc after apk run

Package changes:
-c-ares-1.22.1-r0
+c-ares-1.24.0-r1
-cjson-1.7.16-r1
+cjson-1.7.17-r0
-glib-2.78.3-r0
+glib-2.78.4-r0
-gnutls-3.8.1-r0
+gnutls-3.8.3-r0
-knot-libs-3.3.3-r0
+knot-libs-3.3.4-r0
-libcrypto3-3.1.4-r3
+libcrypto3-3.1.4-r4
-libssl3-3.1.4-r3
+libssl3-3.1.4-r4
-linux-lts-dev-6.6.10-r0
+linux-lts-dev-6.6.13-r0
-nftables-1.0.9-r0
-nftables-openrc-1.0.9-r0
+nftables-1.0.9-r1
+nftables-openrc-1.0.9-r1
-openrc-0.52.1-r1
+openrc-0.52.1-r2
-openssl-3.1.4-r3
-openssl-dev-3.1.4-r3
+openssl-3.1.4-r4
+openssl-dev-3.1.4-r4
-zlib-1.3-r2
-zlib-dev-1.3-r2
+zlib-1.3.1-r0
+zlib-dev-1.3.1-r0

No way to edit or boot..

Not sure what happened..

committed
69542c0
2022-11-24

initial commit

I had a usb utility that would boot a linux system from the usb using the
kernel on the usb.. but cannot find the name of it..

it booted you into your system with the usb kernel.. not a live system, but
your actual system..

anyway..

Just wanted to share.
<9f76a9108e2ac6d8cda76035c695a6acdb6aba01.camel@riseup.net>
In-Reply-To
<CAOyb_EzU_JJjMw_0fnV+Ynux-Aam08g+cNNHNdeZyPycLi8hiw@mail.gmail.com> (view parent)
On Thu, 2024-01-25 at 12:08 -0500, Brian Cook wrote:
> I had a usb utility that would boot a linux system from the usb using
> the kernel on the usb.. but cannot find the name of it..

Hi,

for this bad practice you need a bootloader on the USB device and a
kernel. You can boot into a kernel, that does not belong to a Linux
install's root directory. For example, if you have got a Linux dual boot
machine, you can boot into the kernel from one and the root directory of
the other install. This usually works without issues, but it's not
really safe to do so.

When using a systemd based Linux distro you can use systemd-nspawn from
another systemd Linux. This is safe, but doesn't allow to fix
everything.

If a distro isn't based on systemd or you need to fix something that can
not be done when using systemd-nspawn, then chroot is the way to go.

In short, even if there are several possibilities that can work,
basically a chroot is often what it will come down to in the end.

OTOH sometimes you only need to mount your Alpine Linux and edit
something. You can even run apk from another Linux and use the "--root"
option.

apk fix --root /mnt/point/of/alpine/ package_name

Regards,
Ralf
<CAOyb_EzCPEpvXm_RAZx-PRE9AshKPejSmkA10AYs8-N_dn7DwA@mail.gmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<9f76a9108e2ac6d8cda76035c695a6acdb6aba01.camel@riseup.net> (view parent)
vultr does not allow ROOTFS or BOOTFS to be xfs.. I was able to boot from
the 3.19 iso see my vda1 and vda3..

also alpine with ext4 uses extlinux not grub..

I had no vmlinuz-lts-dev or vmlinuz-lts kernel and no initramfs-lts-dev or
initramfs-lts.. I could get network working but coping the files back into
vda3.. wouldn't ever boot

I could edit the extlinux.conf and got the menu and items to appear, but
nothing would boot or work..

I rsync'd out of the 3.19 iso all the data and had to reinstall

:(

usually I

export ROOTFS=xfs
export BOOTFS=xfs

setup-alpine

(with or without answer file.. )

but vultr gives the ldlinux.c32 error and wouldn't boot.. not formatting at
xfs got the install to work correctly and linux-lts (not dev) seems to
work..

now just putting things back..

--
Network Administrator
Poughkeepsie City School District

"If you cannot explain it simply, you do not understand it well enough
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAqIJZeeXEc>."
Reply to thread Export thread (mbox)