Subject: [alpine-user] Setup an official "Alpine Linux Archive"?

From: Yuan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2019 09:48:28 +0800

I setup up Alpine Linux on a raspberrypi a month ago, while the latest
release was 3.9.0.
For some reasons I cannot upgrade because it is located at a remote
location and nobody can rescue it if upgrade fails.
I also want to build some kernel modules for testing today, but I can
no longer access the exact dependencies required to build packages for
Alpine Linux 3.9.0 from the mirrors, especially the kernels, unless I
build them myself.

It would be really nice to have a daily snapshots (or at least, minor
release snapshot) for official Alpine Linux packages like ArchLinux.
It will be benefit for users who have to stick to a specific version
and cannot afford the risk of upgrading the distro.

Arch Linux Archive stores official repositories snapshots, which is
helpful for downgrading or restoring packages to a precise moment.

PS: deeply apologize for sending subscribing mail to the wrong mail address.

---
Unsubscribe:  [email-masked]
Help:         [email-masked]
---

---

From: PICCORO McKAY Lenz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2019 21:53:41 -0400

its  great idea and a usefully .. but am' afraid that might need a great
sponsors help

as i know arch and algo debian has a snapshot system.. very very helpfull

BUT!: need a great and lot of space.. so it's no so easyle for a small
project!

---

From: Drew DeVault <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2019 21:55:54 -0400

FYI, building a package and all of its dependencies from source is
pretty easy if you check out the aports commit you need and use `abuild
-R`. Time consuming, but how often do your machines break so badly as to
warrant this anyway?

---

---

From: Natanael Copa <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2019 09:15:12 +0100

On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 09:48:28 +0800

> and cannot afford the risk of upgrading the distro.

Yes, I agree with this, and I think it is doable. It could be
implemented as zfs snapshots or similar. We have talked about it, but
infra team has more than enough on their hands currently.

The question is for how long do we save those snapshots? 6 months? 1 or
2 years? forever?

> PS: deeply apologize for sending subscribing mail to the wrong mail address.

no worries. You are not the first and you will not be the last.

-nc

---

---

From: "John Miner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2019 02:46:20 +0100

Should be relativley trivial to checkout the appropriate commit on aports to build at any state, which is obviously one of the benefits of having the aports tree. Looks like he needs to cross-compile to arm, so maybe one answer would be to get bootstrap.sh on travis ci or other to make sure it builds prior to commiting a new version of alpine. Bootstrap.sh has broken several times inevitably as things move around, so would be good to make sure it builds under different archs before commiting an alpine release. Maybe even improve the bootstrap documentation, then you aren’t in the business of storing binaries for multiple architectures.

Or maybe we could have a docker image prepared for each release that has everything in it to build that release under all archs, including a validated bootstrap.sh.

> Sent: Friday, March 15, 2019 at 9:15 AM
> From: "Natanael Copa" <[email-masked]>
> To: Yuan <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [alpine-user] Setup an official "Alpine Linux Archive"?
>

---