Subject: alpine linux and salt

From: Ralph van Etten <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 4 Apr 2020 15:22:40 +0200

Hi,

I would like to use salt to manage a couple of alpine linux servers but I
have some issues installing salt.

Alpine v3.11 has salt 2019.2.2 but this version does not work because it
depends on py3-tornado version 5 while alpine comes with which tornado 6.

Installing salt 3000.1 from edge also gives dependency issues with either
pycrypto or setuptools.

Installing salt using the salt bootstrap script gives the same issues. I
tried installing salt using the bootstrap script in pip mode, but that is
not supported under alpine (by the bootstrap script).

I'm testing salt it using a fresh install of alpine 3.11.5 in a virtual
machine.

Has anyone successfully installed salt?

Thanks,
Ralph.

---

From: Konstantin Kulikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Apr 2020 11:26:52 +0300

> depends on py3-tornado version 5 while alpine comes with which tornado 6.

I have encountered similar issues with netbox, in the end the only option
was to manually install it in virtualenv.

Such breakages will always happen periodically. It can be mostly negated by
bundling dependencies with software, but many maintainers oppose this idea.