Subject: [alpine-user] "set -xe" command in Dockerfile

From: Ivan Shibkikh <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2018 12:41:51 +0300

Hi All,

I spent time to find answer but without success. I found this email on main
Alpine web site. Can someone explain what does it mean "set -xe" command in
Dockerfile? Context is:

RUN set -xe && apk add ...

Thanks,
Ivan

---

From: Daniel Isaksen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2018 10:55:30 +0100

Basically makes the shell write traces for expanded commands before they're
executed, and for the shell to exit on non-zero exit statuses:

       −x    The  shell  shall  write  to  standard  error  a trace for
each command after it expands the command and before it executes it. It is
             unspecified whether the command that turns tracing off is
traced.

       −e    When this option is on, when any command fails (for any of the
reasons listed in Section 2.8.1, Consequences of Shell  Errors  or  by
             returning an exit status greater than zero), the shell
immediately shall exit with the following exceptions: *(...)*

-----
Sincerely / Med vennlig hilsen,
Daniel Isaksen <[email-masked]> (https://duniel.no)

On Thu, Nov 1, 2018 at 10:41 AM, Ivan Shibkikh <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I spent time to find answer but without success. I found this email on
> main Alpine web site. Can someone explain what does it mean "set -xe"
> command in Dockerfile? Context is:
>

---

From: Ivan Shibkikh <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2018 13:31:10 +0300

Cool, many many thanks!

чт, 1 нояб. 2018 г. в 12:55, Daniel Isaksen <[email-masked]>:

> Basically makes the shell write traces for expanded commands before
> they're executed, and for the shell to exit on non-zero exit statuses:
>
>        −e    When this option is on, when any command fails (for any of
> the reasons listed in Section 2.8.1, Consequences of Shell  Errors  or  by