Subject: [alpine-user] A suggestion and two questions

From: Donald Allen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2015 09:14:23 -0500

I am experimenting with Alpine and while I am very pleased with the
stability and performance of the system, I've encountered some
frustrations in getting questions answered. I would like to suggest
that the 'Forums' link on the main alpinelinux.org and other pages be
removed. The 'Community' link takes you to a page that provides
descriptions and links to *all* options for communicating with the
Alpine community, including the forums, together in one place, as they
should be. The presence of the separate 'Forums' link, prominently
displayed near the 'wiki' link, is a confusing distraction; it can
give a sense that the forums are the main way (or the only way, if the
'forums' link catches your eye first, as it did mine) to talk to the
Alpine community. This is clearly not the case; answers to questions
are not forthcoming there, as I expressed in frustration in my last
post.

My questions:  the package browser indicates that there are both tcl
and tk (8.6) packages available in the 'main' repository. However,
only the tcl package is present in the main repositories on the
dl[2-5] mirrors. So my first question is why is the tk package
missing? The second question is why does the package browser say one
thing and the repository another? One would think that the database
used by the browser would be generated from the ultimate source of the
truth, namely the repositories.

/Don Allen

---
Unsubscribe:  [email-masked]
Help:         [email-masked]
---

---

From: Natanael Copa <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2015 18:17:31 +0100

Hi,

On Fri, 13 Nov 2015 09:14:23 -0500

> are not forthcoming there, as I expressed in frustration in my last

This is a good point. We should change that.

> missing? 

I don't think tk is missing:

http://dl-3.alpinelinux.org/alpine/edge/main/x86_64/tk-8.6.4-r0.apk

Maybe you were looking in the stable repositories?

Seems like tk moved to main repo 2015-06-09, after v3.2 was
branched:

http://git.alpinelinux.org/cgit/aports/commit/?id=c5afb05a2f9e0b6919d1614f283d36cde3a0e317

> The second question is why does the package browser say one

Maybe because package browser only shows packages in edge
(development), and not in the stable (production) repositories?

-nc

---

---

From: Donald Allen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2015 12:53:23 -0500

> http://dl-3.alpinelinux.org/alpine/edge/main/x86_64/tk-8.6.4-r0.apk

That's correct. See my exchange with ScrumpyJack in the General
Discussion forum.

> Maybe you were looking in the stable repositories?

Yes, that's correct. That seems like a reasonable thing to do, if one
wants a 'stable' system.

> (development), and not in the stable (production) repositories?

No, it shows packages from both edge/main and 3.2/main (stable). But
in the Repositories column, it simply says 'main'. So if you search
for tcl, which is in 3.2/main, you're told it's in 'main'. If you
search for 'tk', which is in edge/main, you are told it's in 'main'.
They are different 'mains'!. This was the source of my confusion. If
the edge repositories are going to have the same names as the stable
ones, and the package browser searches both, then the package browser
ought to show the fully qualified names of respositories, e.g.,
edge/main, 3.2/main, etc.

/Don

---